Second coat for better color?

Has anyone done a second coat of colored resin to get a better consistency of color through out the board? 

i just finished laminating the top and bottom of my board and I had a hard time getting a consistent color through out the board. Can I brush or squeegee another coat of orange resin to fill in and get a better color? Will this work? Or should I just leave it alone.

here’s some pics 

Using poly resin. 

Love the outline!

from what I understand it will be difficult to achieve uniform results because you won’t be able to sand evenly… if that makes sense. 

Perhaps if you did a color fill coat and then another hot coat. Then when you sanded you’d be far less likely to sand the colored resin. I’ve never tried it, but brainstorming out loud here. 

let us know if you get a good solution

Thanks man! Yeah I was thinking of a fill coat type deal. Make the same amount of resin as I would a hot coat and then brush it on. Then do a clear hot coat. Is that what you’re saying?

Forgot to mention I have not hot coated yet. Just glassed the bottom and top

There are generally 3 coats of resin, laminating, hot coat, and gloss coat. In my experience you can add color to all 3, even tho the laminating coat over raw foam is the main one.

Yeah that’s exactly what I was saying. 

2 Hot coats. First being tinted and second clear. Then when you sand it even you won’t sand the tinted hot coat and get an uneven appearance. 

Like I said though I haven’t tried this but how I would tackle it. Otherwise I think you run the risk of a blotchy appearance being you’ll sand more off one area than another. 

If you try it post pics and lessons learned. 

Will do. Thanks 

I added a filler coat with orange pigment with a squeegee, it definitely helped hide the lack of color on the ride side. When I hotcoated the top it did seem show through to the dry area, but it looks a hell of a lot better than it did before

Here’s some before/after pics. 

IMO, what you have now is fine.   I don’t think you need to mess with the color any further.   Next time, work on your wrapping technique.  The saturation there is a little splotchy.   Your cutlaps look pretty good so that means your taping technique was good.   

Single color tints are touchy to begin with.  I think they’re harder to do really well than an opaque or an airbrush.  Everything has to go right.   Opaque dips evolved as a way to cover up laminating mishaps.   

My perspective on being a backyarder is that I embrace the flaws and uneven results in my work.  TO ME, “built - not bought” has an appeal all it’s own.   

The other thing that building my own has taught me is an even greater appreciation for what the pros do every day.   It annoys me the extent to which a lot of surfers take for granted the craftsmanship of the board they bought.  Most retail customers literally have no clue as to how much planning and thought went into the finished product, from selecting the blank to planning the rocker and foil to finishing the blank prior to glassing and so on.   To many surfers, all that is just a purchase price.  

Thank you, lamination is freaking tough, I hate it and love it all at the same time. Multiple people have told me the flaw on the color work looks unique and I should just leave it alone. My ocd won’t allow me too haha. But thanks for your input. It’s fun talking to everyone on this site and getting feedback. I never knew how much thought work and time went into building surfboards. I’m so glad I chose to start shaping. It has totally changed my surfing and my approach to the lifestyle as well. 

That statement alone, causes me to give you a point.       By the way, OCD isn’t all that bad, as it relates to surfboard building.       But, you already knew that.

The board looks good and remember;  the shape is what really matters and wax covers the deck.  Bet it will look Super with a cross coat, hash tagged and combed wax job and a new leash.  You have the right attitude.  An appreciation of the lifestyle and a respect for what goes into a REAL surfboard and the people who contribute to the hand shaped and laminated surfboard.  There is just toooo much leisure activity and sport in Surfing these days.   Sprinter Vans stacked high with Costco foamies and stand ups gag a line up.  Almost no one who surfs up here in the NW lives on the Coast.  It used to be a sacrifice to wash dishes and sleep in a van to be on the Coast and live near your spot.  Every “surfer” who sees the “lifestyle” aspect of Surfing should have to build at least one surfboard or quit and take up golf.  It’s the only way such a person can realize what goes into a surfboard.  I certainly understand the statement;  “You should have been here yesterday”.

Man I really like that board. Color, outline… everything. I agree with others that the “imperfect” finish is attractive. You know it wasn’t mass produced and thought and care went into its construction. 

Part of surfing is mental.  If you’re emotionally invested in your board that adds to the experience.    I positively love seeing someone crank a turn or jet down the line on a board I built.  That’s a feelz that you can’t buy.     The next best thing is surfing a board that you had a hand in designing, to the point that it’s being set up the way you want it.    

I’m on the friends and family program so every board I build involves as much rider input as possible into the design. I want them to own as much of the board as is possible.     The only exception is for the noobs whose primary focus is getting any wave.   

On Maui years back;  I shaped two identical longboards for two brothers.  Not twins, but pretty damned close in age.  The older bro paid for the boards and I painted them to their specs, then took them up to Dave Gott at Pauwela Cannery to be glassed.  Nothing fancy, but very nice.  Dave Petersen put a nice pin line around my sloppy panels.  The older bro was a better surfer and spent more time in the water,usually out on the North Shore at lesser spots in the Hookipa area.  I had told him what I thought the characteristics of the boards ride would be.  I told him the board would catch waves easily, turn well, noseride a bit and generally be alot  of fun in small surf.  Up to 4’ or belly high.  But I told him; " If you get it into chest, shoulder or head high semi-hollow waves it will blow your mind.  Speed, tubes and turns.  It will take off".   It felt really good when he caught me in town a couple of months later and excitedly told me that I was right!  He said it did exactly as I said in small surf, but was completely blown away by the speed and section connecting that occurred in slightly larger surf.  Sometimes you never hear or see what a customer does on one of your boards.  But when you do get a report like that, it confirms your shaping.  Lowel