7’3” Single-Fin Egg Tweaking

I have a 7’3" single-fin egg that was built for me a couple years ago, and I just haven’t ever gotten it wired. I bring it out on ~3+ ft days-- perhaps too small for the board to really go? Curious for folks’ perspectives on which a) conditions, b) fin options, and (arguably the most crucial) c) eggy single-fin riding techniques may improve the experience. Cheers!

I rode an egg for many years. It was a 6’4". Mainly in point break situations but often in beachbreaks as well. It was my main ride in anything up to head high or so. One thing that makes them work is a deep, flexy fin. Like any single fin, they have almost no drive on their own. They are very neutral and the ride depends on the skill set of the rider.

IMO, midlength singlefins for small waves work better with a bit of length, a flat rocker, a little vee and roll in the bottom, and a big flex fin mounted a little further forward.  A fin big enough to really push against.   You can get some glide going on a waist high wave if you’ve got enough rail line to work with.  

You can’t just order blanks by length and assume their standard rockers will work with your design.    I despise the A series rockers; I’ve come to the conclusion that I can’t make them work regardless of how I order them.  I like the SP rockers but I usually order them flatter unless I’m aiming the board at bigger conditions.  

I’m thinking I’ve been riding with too small a fin! Gonna try it with something flexy in the 8.5" range and see if that helps the drive. Thanks all. 

A 9 inch Liddle flex fin ought to do the trick…

I have a 9.25" Andreini flex already on hand which may be a tad much, but perhaps it’s worth a shot!..

It depends on your tail width @ the fin.     I ran a 6-10 egg with a 16" tail and my favorite fin for that was a big ass Velzy Classic.  I actually like that fin and similar templates for all the midlength.   When I push on a flex fin I want it to push back.

yowza! I’ll check out my tail width when I get back home & update for reference.