Da Bull is Gone

I suspected something was up as his profile has been on the low the last few years.  I’m thankful that I was able to talk with him a couple of times.  Especially a fun  conversation one weekend in SC at the Big Stick.  He liked talking fishing as much as surfing.  He loved the Smith River.  Lowel

I had met Greg at a classic surfboard auction in NJ about 20 years ago.  Truely a memorable moment.  At the time I was working at a local vocational school and I thought that the kids would enjoy a visit from a ledger, so I asked if he would come and talk a bit.  He got a look on his face of fear saying “Oh I can’t talk ih front of people”. All I could think of  as I said thanks anyway was, here is a guy that has balls bigger than North and South Dakota, and he was afraid to talk to a bunch of adolescent kids.  Thanks for the memory. R.I.P.

When I was on Maui, I flew over and went to Rarrick’s auction at Baisdell. Greg had just released his book.  Jed and Drew Kampion were there with him at a table.  Picked up signed copies of the photo above and his Surfboard book.  He was the trade show king there for awhile.  Assuming Jed is somewhere in OC .  Ryhn closed his shop in Crescent City a few years back and after a stay in the 808 came back to CC.  Ryhn could duplicate the Da Cat exact.  Saw about three of them in Oneils when I lived in SC.  Just clear and no “Da Cat” logo, but the shape was obvious.  Wonder how this will affect jipp’s collection?