Fiberglass issues

Hello hello!

I’m facing some problems with the lamination of my second board… I ordered some 6oz glass and it was diferent than what I used on my first board, I used it and I ended up doing a bit of a mess. I found it much harder to work with it and now that is done I can see the structure of the fiber … 

Any of you people can tell me the diference between the to materials?

and the subject… many things to be fixed.

Not sure what the cloth is.  Got a link to where you got it from or a brand and item number?  Also was this poliester resin or epoxy.  The binder in some cloths do not disolve with epoxy and that might be what you ran into if this was an epoxy lamination.  That’s kind of what it looks like to me but not enough info in your post.

it is an epoxi lamination. About the fiberglass the site just says 220g

https://www.mrboat.nl/glasweefsels/glasweefsel-220-gram/

And is it very bad or I can still finish the board?

big thanks!

What you have there is a twill cloth.  You should have gotten plain weave cloth.  Your website doesn’t give much in the way of specifics as to its compatability with epoxy.  What I am seeing is one of two things:

1.  The cloth was made with binders that will not break down with epoxy resin.

2.  You over-worked the resin while wetting it out and your epoxy became frothy.  Basically micro-air-bubbles in the resin when it cures. 

Bottom line.  Nothing you can do now.  Finish it and surf it.

It appears to me that what you bought is what we here in the US call “tooling cloth” which is a boat tight weave that’s coated with chrome (volan) and normally used in vacuum boat lay up.  It’s hard to get good saturation otherwise, and is very stiff and doesn’t like curves much.  I would just go ahead and fix your lam as best as you can and hot coat & sand.  Next time, use E or S glass and you won’t have a problem.  Just my old 2c…

https://www.pccomposites.com/product/7500-fiberglass-tooling-cloth/

Thanks for the answer!

And just for curiositi about the problem number 1 you pointed. Does it have any effect in therms of resistence, flex, etc… or it’s just cosmetical?

And the point 2, I was very mellow when mixing the epoxi and the mix was completly transparent with a veri small amount of air bubbles (regular mix) so I discart a bit this option.

It is really great to have acces to you people you guys are the gurus of homebrewboards!

It maybe that! It was really not easy to wrap it on the rails and it formed some wrinkels that I was not able to put down so I had to sand them down (it looks far from clean) and in some parts the clath is not 100% saturated

You use “industrial” fiber standard. Tight cloth harder to saturate, with not clear sizing so not fully disappear when saturated. No epoxy compatibility problems. At same weight, well laminated those fibers can be a bit more stronger than open wave cleat sizing surfboard standard fibers. 

You can still finish the board.  

Don’t worry about the weave.  Twill or plain weave don’t change strength.  If it was twill, it would cost a bit more than plain weave, but it would drape the rails easier too.

My guess is it was how you squeegeed the epoxy in.  Epoxy wants to soak in, nor push in, so you have to spread it out, let it soak, then lightly remove the extra.  I said lightly, because if you scrape too hard, the cloth flashes like that.  Basically,  the cloth may gave been scraped too dry.

Don’t worry about the weave.  Twill or plain weave don’t change strength.  If it was twill, it would cost a bit more than plain weave, but it would drape the rails easier too.

My guess is it was how you squeegeed the epoxy in.  Epoxy wants to soak in, nor push in, so you have to spread it out, let it soak, then lightly remove the extra.  I said lightly, because if you scrape too hard, the cloth flashes like that.  Basically,  the cloth may gave been scraped too dry.