Hansen “The Competitor”

Hey everybody, would love share a recent Hansen I got. It’s quite sunkissed on the bottom but the deck is in good shape. Was not able to find any serial numbers, they may be hidden under the at home resin loop or faded on the bottom. Love to know possibly what year or years this board was made. It’s 10’3 and 40lbs. 

Thank you so much,

Thomas 

Thank you Bill 

I think your scale is broken. A 1966 Hansen that’s 10’3" should not weigh much more than 30 lbs. No boards made in the mid 60s weigh 40 lbs.

Scale definitely could be off, it was 38lbs with my very old bathroom scale. 

RB gun - 1964 - 42lbs

Very highly specialized big wave guns, Buzzy Trent’s RB gun was 11’ 1’', with 3   3/4inch stringers, and weighed 42 pounds.      Kealoha rode a similar board in that same time frame.     Those were NOT the ordinary boards of that time period.

Ricky Grigg’s  Hobie gun. 1962

Pete Peterson’s tandem board, 1962.

By way of confession, my 1963 10’ 5’’ x 21’’ Full Gun, and my 1965 10’ 7’’ x 21.5’’ Full Gun, both tipped the scales at 38.5 pounds each.

Boy!  I’m surprised that someone with your vast knowledge would make such an erroneous statement.  Lots of 60’s boards weighed 40# plus.  I just took a 10’ Hansen out of a guys pickup this past weekend  that was easily 40# plus.  The guy who traded it in claimed it weighed 60#, but having lifted it myself I don’t think so.  40# plus, but not 60#.  I have picked up five gal.cans weighing 70# daily most of my life.  Hell, I can tell you if a five gal. can has two or maybe three gal. of contents.   I picked up a partially full five gal. can of Gel-coat recently.  The guy I was buying it from asked me how many gal. I thought we’re in the can?  Without hesitation I told him;  “Three gallons”.  So that 10’ 60’s Hansen weighed an easy 40#.  And if that one weighed 40#, that means others did as well.  Not all but at least several or plenty.

Someone is a legend in their own mind. I will continue to ignore the asshole.

My sentiments exactly.  Nice Magazine pics tho.  For a legend or an asshole.

Haha

Keep in mind that it wasn’t until sometime in the mid to late 60’s that manufacturer’s, glass shops etc became weight conscious and decided that a single layer of 10oz.Volan would work.  From there they dropped to 8oz Volan.  Somewhere near the late 60’s “surfboard specific” fiberglass in finish other than Volan came into use.   6oz and then 4oz.  I’m sure I may be off on the timeline, but pretty close.  It was all about what Yater called “swing weight”.  A lot of manufacturers were afraid to make the jump to a light glass job.  So for a period of time there were still lots of boards in the 35–40 lb range until everyone got on board with a lighter glass job.  A friend of mine had a 10’ Harold Iggy Model by Weber.  Easy 35 —40lb board…  The next year Weber was tuning out light weight “Performers”.  Hansen was actually one of the leaders for light weight boards.  I am sure that BillT could comment on that period and the boards.  Especially Don Hansen’s thinking that may have been behind the change to light weight.  He was there.

I had a 9’4" Hansen Master step deck made in 1965 or 66 that was 40lbs probably due to the fact that it was solid red gel coat 

I seriously doubt any board under 10 ft that was made in 65 or 66 weighed 40 lbs. The average board in 1962 was under 30. Solid color resin jobs add very little to the weight of a board.

In fact, I would be surprised if it was over 30 lbs.

At the time period in question, the STANDARD production technique for solid color panels or bottoms, was to shoot a clear over it after it set.     This was so that  wet sanding and polishing would NOT change the uniformity of the color layer.     Believe me when I tell you, ‘‘it added a significant amount  to the finished weight of the board.’’

I will assume polyester resin has a similar density to epoxy.  Resin adds significant weight.

The density of cured epoxy is about 1.08 to 1.10 grams/cubic centimeter = 67.4 to 68.7 lbs/cubic foot

I’ve got a Hansen “Lightweight” down at the shop.  Getting pretty curious about this “Weight” topic.  I’ll see if I can figure out a “weigh” to get it on a scale.