Very Interesting Hansen

Recent trade in.  Really old skull.

Bottom

I believe it was some of the last that were built at Channin’s, the high density tail block and what looks like Tom Cervantes color work and Randy Wongs leash loop.

what are the serial numbers and. Shapers name if it is marked ?

Jim–I will look at it again to be sure, but it appears to have no number or signature.  You could be right about it being one of Tony’s.  It fits the time line of how long the owner had it, before trading it in against a new stick on Sunday.  I didn’t hear the whole story as I was about half asleep when the deal was going down at the counter.  You can’t see it from my pic, but the only thing wrong with it was a bunch of small air bubbles right on the apex of the tailblock.  Actually, if you blow the pic up you can see them.  One screwdriver sized ding on the deck near the nose that has been professionally repaired with gloss and polish.  The edge of the fin looks like it was drug on a shallow bottom.  Otherwise near new condition.    Resin panels and loop were nicely done.  Lowel

Upon further investigation:  This is a 60’s board.

1966, to be exact.         1965 was in the 2000 to 5000 number range.      Boards in the 6000 number range, were surely 1966.

You should stop by and take a look at it sometime.  It’s at Terry Senates shop in San Clemente.   Pretty damned good condition.  Well taken care of.  Terry knows the story that the guy told him.  I didn’t ever realize what was going on until Terry asked me to come out and take a look at it. The guy may have owned it since new.  Don’t know.   I actually saw two dings.  Both of which were professionally repaired and rubbed out.  At first I thought it was a retro because of the leash loop. 

One of the more interesting aspects of this board, is that I shaped it 55 years ago.      Board number   6678 T   Hard to believe, eh?          Lyndon Johnson was in the White House, and the Vietnam war was in full swing.      I’m sure there is one hell of a back story, on that board.

Yeah I bet there is.  I kind of heard the guy going thru the whole thing but was about half asleep.  24 hrs. and I just gassed up in Ashland, Oregon for $3.67 p/gal.  Last leg home and last fill up.  Feet and legs are swollen and I’m poppin’ Elyquis.  That board is in fantastic condition.  What threw me at first was how white the deck foam was.  I thought it had to be a reproduction.  But when I saw the # and your “T” I told Terry he had made a good deal.  I’ve got his cell # if you want it.  I can PM it to you later when I’m not driving.  L

That would be nice.      I’d appreciate it.       

Terry thinks this board has been restored at sometime and I agree.  The couple of dings have been repaired professionally .    And I believe the board has been reglossed and rubbed out.  That was probably when the leash loop was added.  I don’t think it has been in the water since it’s restoration.  The Skeg (aka fin), looks like it might have been drug on the floor a bit, but not enough to actually damage it.  Nothing that a couple of swipes with a buffer couldn’t get rid of.  I don’t think it has seen a cobblestone point since it’s restoration .  The color work down the center is nicely done.  Could be original, but maybe not.  The pin line at the tail-bock may not be original.  I had an early Doyle at one time with the foam tail-block and it wasn’t pinlined.  But that doesn’t mean these are necessarily add ones.  The work looks good enough to be original.  Maybe too good for a board this age.  The colored panel down the center is an interesting color.  Just a few observations.  Do they make any sense to you guys?  Beautiful wall hanger for sure.  Lots of Hansen’s out there.  Don Hansen must have manufactured as many board as Hobie.  Certainly in the top five or ten manufacturers for that era number wise.

That was my impression, just looking at the photos.      I’ll be up that way Aug. 7th, and I’ll try to drop in and take a look at it, in person.

Well, I took that look.      The tailblock is not HD foam, it is a custom glass tailblock, and the color on the board is not original to the board.     Neither is the leash attachment.     The fin IS original to the board.      The board is ‘‘over restored’’ in the best possible way.      Really good workmanship.       The custom tailblock red line (to match the fin) and the oversize decal, makes me think the board may have been made for one of the team riders.      The rails are more refined than would be found on a ‘‘regular production model.’’    The board is the closest thing to a brandnew 1966 surfboard, today.     Ready to be ridden, IMO, if that’s your bag.      Good enough to hang on ANY wall, anywhere.

Very Good.  Glad you got to take a look at it.  Lowel

Without that panel down the center, it could be a take off on a Hynson “Red Fin”.  Some team riders for a variety of  Board manufacturers requested “Red Fin” look alike boards around that time.  The fin is a different outline, but the clear three stringer with a tail block and red fin was pretty in vogue mid sixties.