What color is this board?

Hi All, What color is this board? It’s a custom order that I just picked up from the shaper. When I saw it I said, “where’s my board?” and the shaper said, “That’s it.” 

I said, “that’s not the color _____ .”

And he said, “yes it is” and started talking about his Pantone color wheel. I am wondering if perhaps he surfers from color blindness. So good shapers of Swaylocks, perhaps you can all help me to help him, so what color is this board?.

Blue: 9

Purple (haze?): 1

Gdaddy: blue is a color

Doc: Wat is the color blue? Are you sure? 

Black and/or White: 1 

Just for some lam info, it’s a polyurethane blank with a polyester resin and 6/4/6 lam of s glass I believe. 

7/26/2021 Gdaddy reply: I would have gotten a resin tint or no color at all; but the shaper doesn’t do resin tints, only airbrush and they won’t sell a board without color. So you have to pick at least one. So I picked two, one was green, the other one I picked, was NOT blue. 

BLUE.

I use Liquitex Basics and that shade is exactly what I get with their Blue.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51uLcbqvyHL.AC_SX425.jpg

Purple

What are you smoking?

There are lots of blues out there. Some have more red in them, others have more yellow.   Then after the blank is painted it gets glassed over.   If the resin being used has any whitener in it that will affect fhe outcome.   Especially with the epoxies.   

FD&C Blue No. 2 (also known as indigotine, C16H10N2O2) 

I would say blue indigo too. A blue with some purple in depend light reflexion. I have a tint called bleu indigo, when I use it in white to make a pastel I see more the purple component. But for my wife I don’t see right colors so… 

If you’re seeing purple I suggest either getting your eyes or your computer screen checked.

I would call it blue too.

Here is using MS Paint as a primitive color analyzer. Open the pic, take the eyedropper tool, pick in the color, then click on the ‘Edit colors’ button

Probably best to agree on a Pantone or color chip in person.

Past experience tells me that color appearance may vary depending on the screen being viewed. Also, angle of light striking the subject will often alter the color appearance. I think you need in person view to really tell what color it is. And even then, we may have different names for identical color; I ran into that often when I was married!

Based on “screen” color;  Yes it is a “Blue Indigo”.  Definitely not Royal Blue, Baby Blue, Navy Blue or Jamaican Blue…

It’s a longboard.  Next time get a resin opaque or tint.  

Absolutely. I figured the Homer orange buckets and the standard A4 white paper, covering up a rather well known logo, would help provide an objective frame of reference though. 

The Indigo ate my baby!!

when an act of note is done enough

the act it itself is commonly identified

by the name of the guy whot done it.

{like metaphoricly}

in this case ,not knowing the name

of this here ‘murphy’ 

i would be most comfortable in calling it

I Y W I D R D I Y self blue*

…ambrose…

• if you wann it done right do it yourself

Right.?

say swaylocks 5 times fast…

then accept the results

by saying the magic words

thats perfect… even though

there is no such thing 

as perfect,not in this world.

ask richie palumbo…

he rejected a board once

because the label was off

the center of the stringer

by a whole 1/8 ‘’…

{it’s pink, ride it,and lose it

in the blowhole at the Lane}

Okay, it’s definitely blue. jrandy’s very clever use of the Paint color picker takes any screen maladjustments out of the equation. Though it is a rather nice shade of blue. I have a boat that color. 

But- this guy won’t do a board without some sort of airbrush color? That kinda sets off the Danger, Will Robinson. danger danger alarms. Just what is he covering up with that? 

Shape first, second, third and … -color and graphics a distant last

doc…

I’m color blind also.  I once brought  home a VW Westy at night and told my wife that it was green.  The next day she looked out the window and said “that green van you drove up in last night is orange.”  That being said I’ll go with black or white on the board.

Not to put words in anyone’s mouth, but if I recall it is due to personal preference as well as demand for services being a serious time constraint. They don’t do clear boards, as they  don’t like the yellowing. I know as a point of fact that the person who shaped and glassed this particular horse of a different color is more than capable of doing resin tints, they just don’t offer them. This individual’s services are certainly in high enough demand to afford them that luxury. If a shaper doesn’t want to do something, I respect that; just be straight forward up front, right? 

At the same time, this shaper said up and down when I went to pick it up, the board was X color, while this thread seems to agree that instead it was clearly Y.  Which I told them was a problem when I went to pick it up. If I hadn’t put $500 down, instead of the $150 I had in the past, on a board that I was quoted at $750 and then told was $850 when I went to pick it up, I probably wouldn’t have taken delivery. If I didn’t take delivery though, what was I supposed to do? It was already 2 months past the original date given and they could have easily sold it to someone else, leaving me up a proverbial smelly creek with no board and I don’t stand up paddle. I didn’t hastle the shaper about the lateness except to inquire at the original date given if the board was done, they said no and that they were going on vacation instead. Whatever, I figured it would get done when it got done. I have plenty of boards. The xtra hundo didn’t even make me blink, which they didn’t bring up then I might add. I had told them that the $750 they quoted was kinda low and I was more than willing to tack on a couple of extra hundo if they wanted to talk fin/deck patch b4 they got around to glassing when we first talked turkey in the early Spring. 

I just don’t like being told the sky is green when it is clearly blue and then basically being turned into a debate with the “let me get my pantone.” Like I said I would have walked at that point, but I was slightly over a barrel and one should know when one can win and one can’t. I don’t argue with the dentist when he’s got his hands in mouth, my barber when he’s cutting my hair, or the person serving my food unless I am prepared to lose. 

I WAS a repeat customer who sang this individual’s praises every where I could, because in their own words,

“Spend as much time listening to my customers as I can. …No “I’ll tell you what you’re gonna get” routine.”

It’s reassuring to know I am not crazy, at least about this. 

That board is Y

Not to put words in anyone’s mouth, but if I recall it is due to personal preference as well as demand for services being a serious time constraint. They don’t do clear boards, as they  don’t like the yellowing. I know as a point of fact that the person who shaped and glassed this particular horse of a different color is more than capable of doing resin tints, they just don’t offer them. This individual’s services are certainly in high enough demand to afford them that luxury. If a shaper doesn’t want to do something, I respect that; just be straight forward up front, right? 

At the same time, this shaper said up and down when I went to pick it up, the board was X color, while this thread seems to agree that instead it was clearly Y.  Which I told them was a problem when I went to pick it up. If I hadn’t put $500 down, instead of the $150 I had in the past, on a board that I was quoted at $750 and then told was $850 when I went to pick it up, I probably wouldn’t have taken delivery. If I didn’t take delivery though, what was I supposed to do? It was already 2 months past the original date given and they could have easily sold it to someone else, leaving me up a proverbial smelly creek with no board and I don’t stand up paddle. I didn’t hassle the shaper about the lateness except to inquire at the original date given if the board was done, they said no and that they were going on vacation instead. Whatever, I figured it would get done when it got done. I have plenty of boards. The xtra hundo didn’t even make me blink, which they didn’t bring up then I might add. I had told them that the $750 they quoted was kinda low and I was more than willing to tack on a couple of extra hundo if they wanted to talk fin/deck patch b4 they got around to glassing when we first talked turkey in the early Spring. 

I just don’t like being told the sky is green when it is clearly blue and then basically being turned into a debate with the “let me get my pantone.” Like I said I would have walked at that point, but I was slightly over a barrel and one should know when one can win and one can’t. I don’t argue with the dentist when he’s got his hands in mouth, my barber when he’s cutting my hair, or the person serving my food unless I am prepared to lose. 

I WAS a repeat customer who sang this individual’s praises every where I could, because in their own words,

“Spend as much time listening to my customers as I can. …No “I’ll tell you what you’re gonna get” routine.”

It’s reassuring to know I am not crazy, at least about this. 

That board is Y