Deck patch

About to glass my mid length and am doing a deck patch for the visual appearance. My question is:

1. Is 12oz on the rails enough?

My plan is to do it one layer at a time. I have the patch taped off for a cut lap to keep it really clean. The plan is to lay a 4oz piece down and then do the entire top in 6oz. Then 6oz bottom. The deck patch is wrapping the rails so center of board would have 16oz with 12oz in nose and tail rails. 

The other option was to do the deck then do clear patches above and below the deck patch then 4oz over the entire thing. 

Thanks

You haven’t told us whether the board is a clear, tint or painted foam.  Otherwise my question would be;  Even at one layer at a time;  Why start in reverse(deck first)?

eps or pu? Stringered? Dims? Which kind of waves?

All those impact strengh needed and glass schedule.

I would do deck patch, bottom then deck. 

Ok thanks. I guess I didn’t realize I was more jacked up than realized. 

1. Head high and under beach break. 

2. 7’9 x 22 x 3

3. I thought the correct order was top then bottom.

4. yes tinted top and bottom. 

5. PU and yes stringer 

I guess my biggest concern is ensuring 12 oz is enough on the rails if I go with 6 bottom and 6/4 top. If not then I’ll go with 6 bottom and 4/4 with 4 deck patch, but that seems excessive especially with wrapping the tail with the deck patch. Maybe I don’t wrap the rails?

Thanks

Six bottom and grind the lap, 4 oz. deck cut to the rail apex, full six oz deck lapped onto the bottom.  Do the 4/6 deck all at once.  Laminate the deck last and then hot coat as soon as it has set.  Flip the board, tape the rail and hot coat the bottom.  Normal glass shop lay up whether it is freelap or cutlap.  The extra strength version is a double six deck instead of the four.  Ready to go and done like a pro.

Tinted board.  Tape off the deck. Tinted cutlap bottom.  Six oz. tinted bottom.  To cut the lap flip the board when the resin has set enough to cut.  Use Saran Wrap or wax paper strategically placed on the bottom where the tinted bottom will sit on the rack.  Grip the rails at each side with same and flip.  Cut the lap.  Use a seam roller to press down into the foam the razor cut lap.  Grind if necessary, but lightly and only where necessary.   Flip the board back to bottom up and when the bottom has set good and hard, tape off for cut lap.  When you remove the Saran Wrap, pull slightly and from one side to the other.  Don’t leave it on the board any longer than necessary.  Lam the deck with one layer six oz.  Cut the lap on the bottom.  Put a layer of 4oz clear with logos on the deck.  You can baste the six oz. cut lap if necessary.  Some guys do a clear 4oz. Bottom as well.  If not, you can spot your bottom logos with 4oz.  PS  If you lap the 4oz. far enough it will cover your lap at the bottom.  Extra strength, but also insures that you maintain a nice cutlap and don’t burn into your tint when you sand.  Better to burn thru clear 4oz. Than a nice tinted cutlap.

^^^ adds depth and clarity to the color and weave of the lamination, too.    

One point I am trying to make is that;  You rarely need to reverse the common and standardized process of a surfboard layup by starting the deck first.  There are exceptions to every rule and reasons for such.  But I don’t see any need to change things up in this case.  You’ll have as much on the rails as everybody else in the lineup. If you are going to do future boards, might as well learn to do them right.

Thanks Mcding and others for the answers. 

sorry been MIA with work, but I was able to do it and love the turn out. Fill coats are on now and waiting to get after the gloss. 

Agreed on learning the process correctly and always a time and place to deviate from the standard, but that implies you know the standard and have the knowledge causing you to deviate. 

The only thing I messed up was some how the cloth shifted on one side. I squeeged too hard I guess and pulled it. Valuable lesson and still meets the intent

Yup that happens.  Even to guys who know what they are doing, but are just out of practice.  Sometimes if you catch it in time you can squeegee from the other side and get it to come back.