Weber Professonal

It was rather a rarity, Weber didn’t make many and I think they pretty much went to dealers as a sort of perk. 

The one I was acquainted with was bright orange, with a racing stripe on the deck. Triple heavy stringers, shape like a wider Performer. And this one was double glassed at least. Freakin’ heavy. Probably could have been rated as an icebreaker, that thing was rugged.

It was the much enjoyed board that belonged to Mike, the guy who had the local Weber shop. And it wasn’t a fast turning board, but once it was pointed it was gonna keep going. We called it Orange Crush, or The Orange Ding Machine. If somebody was being obnoxious, Mike or somebody would take it out and give them a little gentle education.

Which was not really characteristic of him. He was invariably kind to children, drunks and fools, as witnessed by the fact he had me working for him for over forty years. 

Well, that era ended, I have no idea of what became of Orange Crush. 

And another era is over - Michael Houghton went and died on us a couple weeks ago, finest friend I ever had. If you surfed in New England, you know who he was.

doc…

Sorry to hear about your friend, Doc.
Here is a 1968 ad for the Professional. Most looked pretty deluxe, with a fancy stringer setup and often a fabric inlay.