Filler plate ideas?

Hi Swaylockians,  I’ve just picked up a Natural Curves Speed Egg, designed by Steve Coletta, but finished completly by his son Kalu.  Yep, it’s bitchen…it’s set up for a 2 plus 1 setup, which I’ve used in past boards.   It’s got no channels like the trendee twin fin of a now.  Basic vee…I would like to put some keel fins in the side boxes…  Test it also as a Twinnee,   My question I could just leave the 10 inch box exposed, or tape over when surfing.   Any inventive/clever ideas for a filler plate , and designed to remove too…

Interesting question.  

I’ve often wondered whether a fin box plug would create more drag than a fin box left open.

I have used fiberglass packing tape.  It’s no different than using a sticker to cover up a ding.  

When I do cover the boxes, I insert a piece of XPS foam to fill the cavity, then I use clear packing tape over the slot. I do that because in the past I’ve found that water gets under the tape and into the slot. So I add the foam and know that there will be less water in there.

But I don’t cover the open fin boxes on most of my boards.

I know that windsurfer fill fins holes when they don’t used them in multifins set up but they go faster and fins holes are in planing area… I bet that you will not find a real difference on surfboards. 

If you wear a leash that probably creates as much drag as an open finbox. I seriously doubt covering the boxes will make a noticeable difference.

Now I know what a “filler plate” is.