Do you use Waxed Paper ?

For years and like so many others, I’ve used waxed paper to shield clamps and such from glue sqeeze out but I recently switched to freezer paper.  It costs a tiny bit more but works much better and can be reused. 

I found out about it’s use in the shop here: 

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodworking-tips-1501jan/DTEW/dtew3.html 

That’s a good tip.  I’ve used freezer paper, plastic cling wrap and have even cut up sandwhich bags in the past but it was usually because I didn’t have wax paper on hand.  

I only use it when I flip a blank to cut a lap on a lamination.   One piece strategically placed at each end where the fresh lam will sit on the rack when I flip it.  One piece for each hand when I grip the rails to flip it.  When I have finished cutting, I flip it back using the two pieces again to grab the rails.  Once flipped back, I peel the plastic or wax paper off the lam gently and from one side to the other.  If you leave the wax paper or plastic on too long it may leave an impression that is sometimes hard to get rid off.  Just grabbing and pulling the wax paper or plastic wrap could pull the cloth away from the foam.  Avoiding that is the whole idea behind using it in the first place.

Learned the wax paper thing long ago, for doing ding repairs. Aids in getting ding fills close to flat and thus reduces the amount of sanding needed.

In what way is freezer paper different? Meaning, what is it made of? Does it also have a wax surface?

I use wax paper for dings where there are curves and on flat surfaces I use cut off scraps of laminating film you can get from a print shop that does laminating.

check the link I provided… 

I like to use the 3 or 4 mil plastic painters dropcloth. You can cut it to any size and it has a bit of stretch, so if you tape it and there’s wrinkles, you can use more tape to take the wrinkles out.