cork wrap resin art?

i have done a cork wrap on a board but looking for ideas to jazz it up a bit when doing the final outer lam with pigmented resin, google or pinterest is not coming up with much in the way of insperations so wondering if anyone has done anythin on here or seen anything that might insprire me? 

many thanks

I was looking for ways to refinish the top of a folding table and ran across a couple vids showing how they use a wood+paint product to create a woodgrain.  It seems to me that you might be able to something similar with epoxy + pigment (or maybe even wood dust or cork dust) to paint that directly onto the cork with a primer layer followed up by a contrasting wood-grain layer finish like they use for wall coverings and such.    similar to doing a foam stain on a PU blank before glassing.   If you used epoxy to do it then flex and adhesion with the lamination wouldn’t be a problem.   

Here’s a vid showing them using a wood+paint product on a table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddtWWmktjQQ

If it’s a cork sandwich build you can dissimulate cork under final pigmented lam like some strech or drew boards. You can also paint cork before laminate.

More i see cork less I like look even if i think it’s have good potential for our build… 

thanks yes its a sandwich so was going to do it on the final lam with resin. i have tried spraying onto the cork and that does work well so is a option im just usless and trying to deside what to do and still cant find any examples outher than cork boards with the odd strip of carbon. I have done the same construction in the past and it works very well and the cork is a dream to work with.

You can draw on it , burn designs into it , carve into it , stain it ,

If you guys (and myself) were really smart we’d use the skills we have to do something artistic that would result in some real $$$.

True that .

Do you want to seal the cork? This removes all its advantages on the outside like getting a nice surface, no wax needed etc. I just seal it, where I want it to be sealed, but in general leaving it more or less raw shows corks full potential.

I think Charlie use it as a sandwich core, between thin stiff fiber skin so it have max flexural stiffness/strengh with high impact properties. I used it both way, not very impress at outside skin (particules take off, no so good grip so  guys wax it…) but inside with take care of weight it’s interesting for tough dampened sandwich skin… 

It is futile to make a cork board look nice. Ignore Inspired Shaper’s IG account. I read two words of advice from a post of his…RESIN SMEAR. All my attempts below prior to that advice … last post my first da smear from last Nov. No looking back now. did 3 smears this month so far. 

Charlie--   Good to see a string of pictures of you boards. 

Nice work. 

finished this last friday and sent on its way to new owner. 1lb foam, hand shaped. customer’s son helped build.