Lightning Bolt design/logo question

Hi all, I wanted to post here and ask about this subject. My next board is gonna be a 7’3" retro pintail and I’m planning on doing a paint job on it. I love the look of retro boards and especially the older Gerry Lopez designs, so of course the lightning bolt is a big draw for me. What I’m wondering is: Would it be considered rude/taboo/inapropriate/disrespectful/etc. to do a lightning bolt design on my board? 

I found an old thread asking essentially this same question in 2008 and the person seemed to come to the conclusion that the bolt logo itself is not copyrighted (personally I don’t see how it could be) so there are no legal issues. I don’t want to be rude or break some maybe unspoken rule though. Just a question, would love any and all feedback about this. thanks!

In Feb. 1971 I was contracted to build the first ever LightningBolt surfboards.     Jack Shipley sent me the length and width dimensions, and I used my (Surf Systems) templates to make the first six boards.      The lightning bolt graphic that was sent, looked like the comic book Captain Marvel emblem.      I created the simplified bolt graphic, that is so familiar, and used that instead.       When the boards got to Hawaii, Jack called me, all excited, and wanted that design on all the boards!      I did a total of 18 boards for them, before they got thier own factory going.     I later came across many similar graphics, that are in the public domain, and have been for close to one hundred years.    So, no problem using the graphic on a board you make.     No one should give you any shit about it.

With respect, there’s what “shouldn’t” happen and there’s what “has” happened.    Whether it’s right or not, a couple of our members got hasseled for using that logo some years ago even though they weren’t selling the boards.  I’m fuzzy on the details but I vaguely remember it turning out after some discussion occurring here that basically trended in favor of the idea that the parties complaining to our guys about it were out of line.    .   

To the OP, I would suggest skipping the logo altogether.  And the color, for now.    There is a strong sentiment among surfers for not rocking the look-at-me board until your surfing  progresses to the point where you actually want people to look at you.       

Hi Dallas k. I think you just got the green light from the man who created the logo. Mike

I wouldn’t worry about it.  On a “one off” nobody gives a shit.  Do a run of 30 or 40 boards and put them in a shop like HSS or Jacks and there might a problema.

Many big boys make lots of bolts in big stores. 

no body cares. 

surf the gram… see the lightning storm. 

Bro… that is so amazing! I had no idea that you created that logo!! It’s so freaking rad that I can hear from guys like you on this forum. Thanks so much for the reply, it was epic reading that.

Thanks for the feedback man, I really appreciate it. I guess I just haven’t been immersed in the surf culture the way that you guys have. I grew up in Canada and live/surf here so even finding a way to learn to surf has been difficult at best. I hear you about not rocking the flash board until you can actually flash it around. Maybe I will skip the bolt and go with a subtler paint job. I do want to try to make this board a bit prettier than my last with the idea of progressing my building skills. I also feel like subconciously that if I have the idea in my head the whole time that I want this board to look good I will do a better job of it all together if you know what I mean.

Right? Totally epic

That’s kinda what I figured. Gdaddy gave me some good feedback too about maybe not rocking a flash board until I am good enough to actually show it off, so theres something to think about as well. Don’t think I’ll ever be a pro shaper putting dozens of boards in shops so for now it’s all just for me. Thanks for the feedback man, I appreciate it.

Well actually;  some people do care.  Like those who have paid the $$ and taken the time to file with USPTO.  

I remember Lighting Bolts made in Brazil and S Africa (Star bolt) then since late 90s early 00 Hollingworth is the person that “shapes” (has the License) (glassed by Indigo co and color wheel shops) the official new Lighting Bolts in USA.

Well actually no one cares. 

I’m right - ding is wrong. 

Haha!  If the “big kahuna” got struck with a lightening bolt;  No one would care.

There was a period in the 70s when all manner of boards used a lightning bolt symbol. Backyard jobs and name brands, too. Hell, Gary Propper had a brand named Lightning Bolt East in the mid 70s and it sure as hell was not affiliated with the Hawaiian label.

Do whatever you want to.

Hey Bill!  I remember you described how to make one of your bolts using a legal pad or something.  I forgot how it went.  Do you mind retelling how it’s done?

Aloha Scott,

The original Bolt graphic was done as a ‘‘half pattern’’  cut from the back of an 8 x 14 legal pad.       I cut a long narrow triangle from one side of the cardboard back of the pad.       I then set an overlap of approx 1.5 +/- inches to lay out the upper and lower half of the Bolt.      The original size  was approx 26’’ tip to tip.     The original bolts were all done in ‘‘out of the can’’ yellow pigment.      Some of the last six were done with the black ‘‘shadow bolt’’.

?