Hansen "The Hustler"?

Hello,

A new Swaylock’s contributer here, but a longtime reader of the various threads.

I am hoping someone can tell me a little bit about this board.  Year, model, shaper, etc.  It is a 9’6".

I think it may be based on “The Hustler” template, but am uncertain.  There are no identifiers like you would find on the Master or 50/50 models. 

Perhaps (hopefully) Mr. Thrailkill, or any other experts, can weigh in?

Based on Mr. Thrailkill’s comments to other posters about the dot markings before and after the board number, I suspect this board was shaped by Fred Smole?  The number on the stringer at the tail is 7002.

Also, is that a section of volan cloth on the deck?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures attached.

Thank you, all.

EDITED:  I magnified the board number 200% and it is actually number 7002, the date of manufacture remains the same.

The board number is 5002, and was shaped by Fred (Buzzy) Smole.      Board was shaped in very late 1965, or very very early 1966.

Thank you very much, Mr. Thrailkill.

Yes, the photo quality on the number isn’t too good and the “7” definately looked like a “5”.  Here is a clearer photo to hopefully remove any doubt.

Would you have any idea if this is based off of “The Hustler” template?  I have seen a few different pictures of that board, but they don’t seem to be marked with the model name anywhere like the Master or 50/50.  Is that accurate, or are these most likely photos of generic boards being presented as “The Hustler” to potential buyers?

Out of curiosity, what are you keying in on to determine the year?  Is it based on memory of when each series was used, or is there a hidden code in the number format?  If it is off of recollection, I am impressed.  I can’t even remember what I ate for lunch on Monday.

In April/May of 1965, the board numbers were in the 3000’s, and production was running in the range of 100 to 120 boards per week.      Memory and simple math, gets you in the ballpark.      The board has the look of a ‘‘Master’’ with a little more pointed nose than usual.

That’s a nice find.  Always amazed at how many Hansen’s keep popping up on both Coasts.  The interesting thing is that they were all top notch boards.

That is a great looking board.  Looks like it would be very fun to ride.  Can’t tell on the deck patch.  Perhaps something added after the fact.  On my monitor the deck patch looks amber which could suggest that it was a patch added after the fact.  

Thanks for taking a look.  I’m pretty sure the deck patch is original to the board but just trying to figure our if the cloth was treated or not.  I’m inclined to say yes because of the color contrast, but I don’t really know if the 50+ year old chemical would retain the coke bottle hue that long.

I’m pretty sure the Hustler was a transition model and none were over 9 ft.

This board was obviously made before the Hustler existed.

Hard to see much detail since the pics are so small.