First Cut: 6'2" Groveler

Hey y’all,

I’m looking to get into shaping my own sticks via CNC cutting and wanted to ask opinions on a few aspects before diving in.

I have come up with a template for a smaller wave groverler roughly based on the CI Rocket Wide. I understand CI uses some non-stock rocker and channeling but I was hoping this shape would be a good place to start iterating from. 

With this cut I’m just going with a vanilla single concave through the board with a flat exit. 

Dims: 6’2" x 21 1/16" x 2 13/16" | 1’ Nose: 13 3/8 | 1’ Tail: 15 7/8

Surfer: 6’1" at 205 lbs

Questions:

• Rocker Profile: I tried not to deviate too much from the stock, but can anyone expand on red flags when it comes to nose rocker profile and width? If the width to rocker depth ratio is too high it'll plow, correct?
  • Concave: Is it worth it to try and blend concaves with CNC cuts or should I just focus on cleaning that up in the bay? Are there any good resources that discuss concave at CNC level precision or should I just go out and start collecting data? I'm curious what an ideal single to double concave would look like from an X/Y axis. i.e:

1’ Nose: Flat

2’ Nose: -1/16" to rail single concave

Wide Point: -1/8" single concave (start double blend)

2’ Tail: -1/4" single concave (+1/8th double at middle point between rail and stringer)

1’ Tail: Double concave exits 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Matt

What’s “Concavity” ?   Not familiar with the term.

Math Term.

con·cav·i·ty

/känˈkavədē/

noun

the state or quality of being concave.

“the concavity of her stomach”

a concave surface or thing.

plural noun: concavities

“the spaces are hollowed out to form concavities”

I suppose I meant it as the plural of concave, still learning the lingo… Updated to Concave

What you have will definitely surf.   You don’t need to make any changes. 

If it was my board and I was doing it for small wave groveling I’d reduce the rocker, particularly in the nose.   It’s not like you have to worry about pearling in those conditions.   But you don’t need to do that if you don’t want to; the board will still surf.  

Have you gotten an “in person” look at one of these boards.  I realize you are not going to actually shape the board, but it may help your minds eye when you input it.

Thanks for the replies.

I really appreciate the rocker feedback. I didn’t want to touch the overall rocker too much on my first go due to the high liklihood of me screwing it up, but I went ahead and adjusted it slightly based off the stock rocker of the 6’4" MB from the 2017 US Blanks PDF. 

Lowered nose -1/4" and tail an -1/8" - I figured after this one I’d do an even lower nose profile to see how that works. 

With regards to in person examination, I haven’t actually ridden a professionally shaped groveler yet, but hopefully I can find a beat up one on the cheap now that I’m back by the coast. I definitely do need to get out a bit more and examine the retail landscape for inspiration but I’d also just like to start the process of learning and tweaking so I’m trying to find a happy median between true groveler and a more high performance shortboard (which there is bountiful infomation about on the internet). 

I totally understand I’m overthinking the thing at the current moment, but as with any new endevour the first few are the hardest (at least mentally) and I appreciate whatever hand holding I can get. 

Cheers!