Chop Tails

Hey guys, 

planning my next shape and I’m really interested doing a wide square tailed thruster. My inspiration is coming from the Merrick Neckbeard. The story behind that model is that apparently Dane Reynolds showed up at the factory and took an already shaped 6’1" and sawed 5" off the tail. Would this not move the wide point too far back? 

For my shapes I use BlendingCurves templates(i have enough trouble shaping, the last thing I want to worry about is making a template). What I normally do is find an outline I like and then print it according to the dimensions I need (say and outline is 20" wide. Printing it at 99% of the full size will narrow it down to 19.8"). For this board, I was thinking of going about it the same way as Dane did on the original: taking a 6’2x19.7" template (a 6’1" short c from the website at 101%) from BC and chopping the tail off so it becomes a a 5’9". Think I’ll have any trouble doing this? The other option, which I’ve done in the past, is to take a fish template and just don’t cut out the fish tail. But I’d like a wider tail if possible. 

Thanks for any insight you guys might have. 

Below are a couple renditions of what I might be doing. The first is the short c cut down. The bottom is a fish with the tail cut straight across. The board will be 5’9x19.7x2.4 for the top and 5’8x19.8"x2.4 for the bottom 

Take control of what you’re trying to do.  Open source CAD for surfboards.   Very simple and intuitive to use insofar as getting your ideas together.   .  

https://www.boardcad.com/

If you can never accomplish the task of making a template, never call yourself a shaper.

AMEN, brother, AMEN !