old epoxy

Is a Ding All Expoxy repair kit that is several years old still usable? I am wondering if the dark color of the hardener is normal or a sign of age. It is still completely fluid.

I made a test patch and am waiting for it to dry, but even if it gets hard I am wondering if it might be weaker and therefore not a good idea to use.

If it gets hard you can use it. 

paper weight ?

christmas ornament ?

even if it’s hardened

art is infinite…

Ummmm- what does the test patch look like? Discolored? Clear? Chartreuse with spots? Aaahgly brown? You probably don’t want a ding repair that looks like you did it with pine tar, lovely and useful stuff that pine tar is, ding repairs are not its forte… 

From a Ding-all blurb: “Average cure time is: Gel -30 minutes, hard in 6 to 8 hours @ 77 degrees F”. Gel/hardening time now should be pretty close. If not…

Now, you’ll note I said that the above is from a Ding-all blurb. Which I got on the site of a company named after a Great Big River where the 3 oz/84 ml kit like you have is selling for under twelve bucks, US. Search for it.  Ask yourself, is your peace of mind worth a lousy twelve bucks? Use this other old and questionable stuff for gluing something else that you never really liked or wait for the local Hazmat collection and send it on. . 

hope that’s of use. As Bobby McFerrin sez- “Don’t worry, be happy”

doc…

If the test batch hardens, I  would do ‘something’ with it: repair a garage floor, make a tool handle, backfill some mounting holes, glue up some boards for another project. It would also be a chance to experiment with molding or art as mentioned before.  I have never had a batch of RR, Greenroom, or MAS go that dark with the hardener but my longest retain has been 6-7 years. I have seen Q and A for West System Epoxy (used by many for boat repairs) say that dark hardener is usually not a  concern. The boat people are often painting or hiding the color somehow. So maybe use this for somewhere concealed or where color is not important and get something fresh and clear for a visible board reapir situation. For me, the 5 minute stuff from the hardware store also yellows the fastest in sunlight.

When it’s old;  It turns brown when hardened, doesn’t stick well to surrounding areas(even if sanded).  Smells fouler than usual.  As Jrandy stated;  use it for filler or some place not so crucial where it may be covered up with primer and paint.

The amines in epoxy hardners react with oxygen trapped in the bottle turning it yellow to brown depending on the quality of chemicals. Shoud be good to use though as is will still cure.

I had a ding all 1 oz part B turn darker but not as drastic as yours.  Even if it hardens, I wouldn’t use it for a repair/board you really care about.  Agree with posters it makes more sense to use for other random uses if you don’t want to waste.