8'9" Monster Fish

I have a friend that used to own a surfboard rental in Waikiki and every couple of years, he replenish new boards and will sell off his damaged boards.  Whatever doesn’t sell he used to drop off the beater boards to my house.  About a dozen years ago during the finanical crisis, my day job got slow and I started selling/repairing these beaters for my friend and must of sold at least 30 boards. Typically I would try to repair boards to their original shape, but one day I was looking at a 10’ single fin SofTops with the tip of the tail broken off and thinking what a pain of sticking in wood dowels than a pieace of foam, shaping the foam to match and glassing it over.  It then occurred to me that I don’t have to fix it to the same thing and thought it would be easier to cut it to a shorter board  and I always wanted a fish.  Because I gained 50lbs in the last 30+ years I would need a Monster Fish.  Because I was loosing the tail rocker when cutting off 15", I had to add more V-bottom to loosen it up.  I tried to loosen it up too much by placing the twin fins too far away from the tail, but later added quads that really made it better.

https://swaylocks7stage.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/DNLR#4629%20modified%208'9''%20Fish%20SofTops.jpg

I submitted a “Like” for a job well done.   

- You extended the working life of a damaged board.  A green solution that actually prevents another board being needed to replace this one.    

- You modified a boring shape it to be more functional for how you want to surf it 

- You didn’t give up when your intial fin placement turned out to be less-than optimal.  You stuck with it and worked the problem until you got to the better solution. 

Congrats.  You have set a good example.  Hopefully more people will follow that example.