Speed Bases.

Explain please.

I believe they are called J drive fins , I seem to remember that there was another thruster fin set very similar in design about ten years ago .

So what is your project for this one?

Should be interesting.

So the plan is to build an adjustable base that works in the 12-15mm depth but with a forward swept trailing edge rather than backwards swept.

I’ve found that  the forward trailing edge gives a smoother release from the fin.

Thanks for the feed-in line Bill.

Reading a TSJ I saw an article about channels, you know or may not be old enough to have ridden 6 or 8 channels, even on a 6’2". In Queensland here there’s plenty of barrels and channels used to be the rage in the 1980s because they had a great hull/water interaction that lost some lift but held in the barrel, even in beach or shorebreaks,. They weren’t quite as manoeuvrable and that lead to belly channels, a blending of design from both columns that kinda sorta but didn’t work that well. And channels went back into the obscurity of ancient history as the hardest beast to shape, glass and sand.

So I don’t want to make a channel board but could I get a similar drive with fins, more drive, find more of that hull/ wave interaction.

TCs has an extra 1/2 " base length, Wavefins a minimal base and my Elevated Fins no base at all.

Extending the base could be useful as the tide changes the wave, for point/ reefs where it can be all about the tube and nothing else

or even as an asymmetrical setup.

New version, slimmer, lower, foilier. Testing tomorrow.

Interesting.  I ride longboards mostly and have always preferred a wide base and reduced tip.  

May I ask which are your favorite fins? TW pivot style fins or the ones with less tip area (dolphins or 4a)?

Here’s a couple.  Length depending on the board.  Also like Andreni’s flex fins( which have less tip area).  Size depending on the board.  Side bites depending on wave type.

Set against the hull, there’s an appreciable difference at the initial angling of the board and setting of the fin.

And there’s something added when pulling in.

I’ll keep testing different dimensions as well as heights off the hull.