"hard core" boogie board home depot build = start to finish

Shaped 80 boards and 1 boogie board in the last 6 years. Start to finish.the boogie was the most fun for some reason. Found a old Mark boogie blank at the local cnc shop in Pacifica (Calee board factory) .super hard to find that size for some reason after a long hunt…so figured I made my own 

whelp here ya go a peep at the start :

4’x8’x 2"  insulation board =$35 from HD for 2 blanks.

Chopped up 4 x 24" x 48"and glued 2 together

Will be glassed with cloth and epoxy hence the hard core

Will keep ya posted

Enjoy

TT

double post

The OG Marko blank build with bonzer

What density is your HD XPS insulation?

Looks like this is the stuff - https://usa.sika.com/dms/getdocument.get/eb9a1b5f-7fb6-4511-84d5-f1c3b1414222/Rmax-R-Matte-Plus-3-Product-Data-Sheet.pdf

I’d be interested to hear how this compares to other xps foam. For the most part, I’ve defaulted to the Greenspan from Lowe’s - higher compressive strength, lower pcf

Did the higher density help with shaping at all? Any tests done for shear strength/epoxy adhesion? 

Looks killer, dig the bonzer keels. 

Not sure the density,or if it is XP’s. it said polyurethane on the shelf price tag.feels pretty soft so will go with 6 oz.maybe a stringer.

it is a little thicker then I wanted at 4" now 

Glued up with title bond multi use glue. I snapped a off cut and it was easy to break compared to normal PU foam.I also cut the outline and sanded outline a little and was pretty easy to smooth out . Got some mowing to do 

yeah the bronzer fins are nice.my buddy is stoked

The Home Depots in my area carry the O-C Foamular 250 I use for BBs.

It is 1.55 pcf with 25 psi min. comp. strength.

TiteBond III?

Been meaning to try TB3 on EPS.

Interesting stuff Tom.  That’s a nice shaping stand you built there.  Probably the most functional wood stand I have ever seen.  Nice day down there.   “Coldest winter I ever spent.  A summer in San Francisco”. Samuel Clemens

wish I could say I made the stand.got it free off Craigslist free section (in the neighborhood!!) with a pair of 4’  side lights in a wood box with legs,cut the legs off and onto the wall.

rough cut of outline and rocker shot.thinking bar of soap / surf mat scheme

after a few passes with the planer I noticed sloppy horizontal lines every 6"s .they must lay the foam down in a mold in 6" strips

Hell of a deal!!

mostly done with shaping,just some fine sanding .went with classic flat pointy rails.foam is funky yellow so gonna toss some colors on it 

Coming in @ 46" X 22" X 3.5" 

Good shape job Tom.  That construction grade foam is no picnic.  Very interesting project.  I’m watching the process, pretty cool.

Thanks Mc Ding! it actually sanded super easy.

*side note not as yellow as pictured above in 1 of 2 pics

80’s neon vibe spray

Off to glassing…

Nice…now I want sherbert in a waffle cone for some reason!

:slight_smile:

What’s the plan for resin and cloth?

Love me some sherbets :slight_smile:

glassing with resin research bio. 6/6 deck and 6 bottom warp cloth. Then filler/ hot coat and no sanding since it is a experimental project.