Trihull/ concaves within concave concepts

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here. Great to see names I recognize. Well done in keeping the board building stoke going.

I’m designing a board with concaves on either side of the stringer within a single concave.

I have no idea where the deepest part of these dual concaves should be, nore where to fade them in and out.

Anyone have ideas? Did a seach on trihulls but got zilch. Any better search terms?

This is what I got so far. Flat panel on the stringer. Smooth concaves on each side. Max depth under body weight.

Edit: Seems as though I lost all my points, so can’t reply any more until I build up points.

The project is a 6’ high performance board for an intermediate to advanced surfer.

Word is that trihulls perform well under pressure and help with speed and looseness, but info is scant about how the three concaves interact.

Hard to comment without knowing the rest of the parameters like width, length,thickness,outline,rocker,stuff like that. At first blush it looks like it will go straight down the line but may be a bit tough to turn. More info will get better comments.

Try searchiing for Tri Plane Hulls or Tri Plane Bottoms.

These may be what you’re after.

Here are some Chris Brock vintage versions.

And a link with a desciption of the intent of the design -  Channel Islands Al Merrick Tri Plane Hull - Shred Sledz

For those kind of board, I first make the single concave, start 1 foot of nose ended near tail, max at max outline width. Then I cut double in, start at max depth of single all the way through the tail like “double barrel”. 

I think your diagram nails it. 

My hunch is that if you run the deepest part of the duals closer to the rails you’ll create more of a ‘hook’ in there for better edge control(?)  I usually put the deepest part of the single pretty much under or near my back foot on that sort of design.  It also works good on fish-type boards.

When shaping, I boost the tail rocker a bit with the tighter arc in the rocker about where the concaves are deepest.  Once you shape the concaves, it kind of straightens stuff out.  Also fun to place a straight edge on the diagonal through the concaves to see where you actually get a dead flat rocker section.

Those links helped a lot, thanks.

Thanks. Sounds like I’m moving in a similar direction, but I like a flat tail for push off the top and lack of stickiness in deep tubes.

Great food for thought. I’m a little nervous about a hook in the rail and catchiness. But I’m gonna have to cut one and have a look at it and maybe reshape, so I’ll bear that concept in mind. I’m keeping the first cut really subtle, with a mind to reshaping it or simply glassing it and seeing what results.

Cool advice on the tail rocker. It’s a bit wierd machine designing because the concave matches the rocker and the rails are pulled down, if you get what I mean.