Inserting a stringer in a snap with weights

I repaired a snapped board last year. It was a light stringerless es/epoxy board to start with. I loved it because it was so fast and responsive until I snapped it on a big hit at Arugam Bay, Sri Lanka.

I glued the halved together on a rocker table. I’v been using the same rocker for a while because it works in everything I surf. Weight 2.85 kg

I dremelled out a 6mm trench along the stringer line.

I cut a ply stringer @248g and glued it in using Gorilla expanding glue -> 2.7kg

There was a bit of foam to replace because it got torn up transporting the halves home and because the board exploded. 2 part foam under weight (since heard it’s bettwe to leave unweighted) @ 20-30g. After foam fill -> 2.74 kg

Qcell bottom @ 60g -> 2.78, and sand smooth -> 2.76kg

Qcell deck @55g qcell/ 6g epoxy -> 2.84kg

Deck lam/rail wrap @ 20g 4oz cloth/ 55g epoxy

Bottom lam / rail wrap 20g cloth/ 90g epoxy

Bottom fill 30g resin

Deck fill 30g resin

Final weight after sanding 3.09kg

Back in the water and it still goes like stink. Well worth the effort keeping the weights down!

Edit: Apologies about the invisible pics. I’ve attached some.

Cool!  Too bad you don’t have a few pics of the process and end result.  How about a couple of pics of your local waves?  OK thanks.

I couldn’t figure out the format for these images, so I don’t seem to be able to repost them.  If you save as a jpeg format with a small size (like under 300kb) then they’ll load.   

I have always made use of paint stir sticks for an insert across the break.  I don’t use any longer piece of wood than necessary to avoid extra weight.   Six inches to a ft. Beyond the break.  On a colored board I will sometimes use use two inserts.  One each spaced off set from the stringer.  On a pigmented board, color hides the inserts.  These days most of the paint sticks are made of Basswood rather than Pine, so even better.  On a clear board I place a one gallon stick in tight next to the stringer.  There have been grandiose descriptive methods of repairing snaps without inserts posted here on Sways many times.  But if you don’t want the repair coming back to you broken in the same spot; install a splint/insert.

Deck channels will help a lot too. Easy way 

Hopefully you can see the pics attached now. Used to host on Photobucket, but they’ve changed whats available.

I hear you on resnaps without point stir sticks. I’ll post another discussion with a slightly different method for a stringered board. I inserted a stringer in this stringerless board because I have a stringerless that I snapped and repaired 3 times, and I’ve snapped every other stringerless I’ve made, whether composite construction, perimeter stringered or extra rail laps. So now it’s stringers for me.

I have the advantage of having the stringers on file and ability to machine cut them and make a negative for a rocker table, so total repeatability. Mixing sticks and rocker table would do a great job, too.