Hws mini Simms fin placement 5’4

Hey guys just ready to place my fins I’m kinda nervous. Fins are based of the Channel Islands keels. I’ve read on another thread I should measure down from the tip then do the usual 3-4. I was thinking I’d go with 4 from the back of the fin no toe and no cant. Im not after a traditional stiff down the line feel, but not so loose it’s got no drive. Throw some numbers at me especially interested in thoughts on toe and cant? Cheers

5’6 21 , 2.4 measures 19 at 1’ from tail and 19 at 1’ from nose. fair amount of kick in the nose

Whoa, whoa, whoa there, partner.   You can’t just drop a wood board like that on us and not even comment about your construction.  That’s an impressive looking build; and you know us, we love our board pron.   

Anyways, what you’re trying to do when you surf that board is to turn that ~16" wide tail block and the swing weight. The Kenvin Simmons at this length were a couple inches wider and had a wider tail block with the wide point back so this isn’t exactly that.  They were using those funky moon keels which all by themselves weren’t amenable to turning and releasing, and they were surfing those boards with their rear foot (often) right on the tail block in order to get the leverage.      

You’ve got a pretty good sized keel going there (~26") with a 7" base but it isn’t quite as large as a traditional keel.   If it were my board and assuming the weight is heavier than an EPS or PU blank would be I’d run a keel+leader combo (twinzer style).  But with just the keel I’d be thinking maybe running it ~5" forward of the tail block, 1/8" toe in and fairly upright, like maybe 4* cant.    Your center of effort on the fin will be maybe about a shaka length forward of the tail block which is okay because this isn’t a 4-10 length.   

hey thanks gdaddy im planning on putting up a build thread when im all finished, shouldnt be long now. 5 sounds good, i was thinking of maybe adding a little stabilizer anyway if it feels to skatey. id love to try twinzer seen alot here on sways, but never in my local lineup. cheers