Epoxy Resin pin lines

Seasons greetings,

I’m about to dress up a board for a family member with some pin lines and wondering if anyone has had success with Resin Research Kwick Kick epoxy resin for pin lines? I’m either going that route or painting them with acrylic paint. In the past I have had a hard time gloss coating over my acrylic pin lines. 

I have laminated and hot coated, brought it to a 220 sand so far. 

Any advice or tips is appreciated. Thanks!

Posca Pens or Artist’s Acrylic( the type that comes in a tube).  Color work with Epoxy is never quite as good as Poly.  Tape it off and use a steady hand with a Posca Pen.  Or use Artist Acrylic and a cut down squeege(plastic spreader) to lay it on.   Make sure you have your tape pressed down really good.  Why not just do it with Poly resin?  

1 Like

The epoxy takes a while to go off, giving it chances to bleed under the tape, if there are scratches or unfilled weave…at least that is what happeded to me first and last time I tried.

Maybe someone posted once about basting the pinlines with resin or something to counteract this?

1 Like

That’s a good point trying with poly resin, up to this point I’ve only worked with epoxy for everything. Thanks! It turned out okay- will be trying posca pens next time 

Greg Loehr’s trick for pinlines with epoxy laminations was to use automotive pinline tape from the autoparts store.   You lay it before the lamination.  I prefer a clean cutlap so I rarely do pinlines, but the few times I’ve done them the tape trick works.  You always get a clean line and it’s completely protected from sanding and finishing. 

I’ve seen people use india ink, too; and then gloss coat over that.    That seemed like a gutsy move to me.  

What I’ve done with epoxy:  Lay down my tape and burnish it so nothing gets under the tape.  Liquitex acrylic in a tube followed by a squeegie at a shallow angle to spread the paint evenly.  Pull tape and let dry completely.  Lightly sand the paint with 400 to remove any shine.  Proceed with final coat of resin.  The only times I had problems was before I realized the paint needed sanding to help the epoxy stay in place instead of draining off.

1 Like

Correct method by mako.   There used to be a Harbor video on YouTube showing this method.

1 Like

I’ve heard you can leave your resin in the cup after mixing until it starts to heat up then pour it out. This makes it kick quicker on the board and avoids bleeding.

1 Like