Skil 100 power cord replacement

Anyone have a good video of replacing the power cord on a skil 100? I need to do mine and don’t wanna f it up. Just a bit nervous to open it up and find out it’s soldered. Thanks 

It’s not.       Quite easy to do.     Just pay attention to what you are doing…

So I went ahead and started to take it apart, just to see. I got to the trigger and didn’t have a small enough screwdriver with me. But I’m guessing the two screws come out the black and white wires are attached by eye connectors. So I’m gonna dive more into it tomorrow and see. 

The biggest problem is how the wires need to be routed so they don’t get smashed under the handle.  This is very important, a metal housing tool with a short will kill you.  The wire insulation will cold-flow under pressure and can short later if a wire is mashed.  So here’s how to do it:

1. Remove handle cover, then the ground wire, then the switch (leave front wires connected).
  2. Remove the rear switch screws completely along with the terminals.
  3. Slide off the rubber boot from your old cord and retain.  If it's history, buy this one: https://store.eurtonelectric.com/strainrelief375hole48length-2.aspx
  4. Cut off one of the wire terminals on the old cord to match for new ones.  Alternately, you can form eyelets into the wires but you need to solder coat them.
  5. Make a new cord out of 16 gage 3-wire, rubber jacket cable (max 18 ft).  You can get this at Home Depot along with the 3-wire plug and terminals.  Don't use a cheap and stiff PVC extension cord; the Skil isn't an electric hedge trimmer or weed whacker so don't insult it. Match up the wire terminals to what you can get, insulated ones won't fit on the switch but you can cut off the insulation.
  6. Strip back the cable jacket to match the wire lengths on the old one.  Crimp and solder new terminals to your new cable or use the solder coated eyelets.
  7. Slide the boot on the new cable and put a cable tie at the point were the wires exit the jacket.
  8. Put the wires on the switch,  install the switch, then screw in the ground wire. Fit the boot in place with the cable tie positioned as the photo below.
  9. Route the wires exactly as shown; push with a wood stick to position.

If this is more work than you prefer, PM me and I can furnish a pre-made cable with booth and plug.

Exactly why I said to pay attention to what you are doing.      Great tutorial Pete.