More bubbles, any ideas?

I’m working on my first surfboard glass job. The board is my dads old 1960’s longboard. It was all beat up and delaminated. I removed all the fiberglass and moldy foam. Replaced the bad foam with Totalboat 2 part boat foam and sanded it smooth. Then I used patch & paint to get rid of any small divets. Then I painted the board with a thin layer of acrylic house paint. After watching many videos and reading as much as I could I laminated the bottom of the board. It went fairly well but I ended up with a bunch of bubbles. I sanded them out and patched them with glass. I thought maybe I was leaving dry spots. So for the deck I made sure to dab extra resin on the bubbles when they popped up. That didn’t help. No amount of babysitting got the bubbles out. 

any ideas on what’s causing the bubbles? 

Actually that looks like a Cloth issue.  Contamination.  If they are bubbles they will be slightly raised due to trapped air or lack of adhesion.  If you or someone else spilled/spattered something on the cloth before lamination;  Those spots may be due to the fact that they are sealed and won’t take resin.  OR  Contamination on the surface of the board under glass.

Looks like maybe it was not sanded or sanded well enough in the pressure dents. One of the bubbles also looks like the island of O’ahu. 

I made sure to lightly sand the board and used an air compressor to blow it off right before laying the cloth down. The cloth cam right out of a sealed bag from the supply store and onto the board. As I was moving the resin across the board and soaking the cloth these bubbles were appearing. Some of them I could make disappear by working the air out as I wrapped the rails. However, many could not be manipulated. This problem happened on both the bottom and the deck of the board. 

My guess is you contaminated the surface when you used the compressor. It’s a pretty common mistake.

Unless you have a rather sophisticated filtration system the air coming out of the compressor is dirty. 

Dirty enough to contaminate your work. 

The stuff covered here applies to most work regardless of your resin:

https://www.westsystem.com/instruction-2/epoxy-basics/surface-preparation/ 

hold on now. How are we supposed to clear the dust off the board? brush?

A clean horse hair bench brush works. Or Vacuum.

Take the time and read the West System link.

No contamination 

just a shit lamination

resin pools galore… 

Pull resin out while pressing cloth down.

was the temperature rising or lowering during laminating?  If rising out gassing can do that 

No, I read a lot about that. I made sure to keep a consistent temperature during the whole process. 

I did “pull the resin out while pushing the cloth down”. I ended up with bubbles. The resin pools you see we’re left over after I tried to dab the bubbles out with more resin. 

thanks for the help though BigMan. 

Does anyone have any ideas for fixing this mess? Or is it a lost cause? Should I just scrap it and start over? 

Hot coat it and let it rip tater chip

I don’t think I want to be walking on bubble wrap while I surf. 

Taking cloth out of plastic is no assurance that it wasn’t contaminated during the manufacture process.  I have found defects, pulled strings and stains on brand new rolls.  Brand new rollls wrapped in plastic and boxed by two out of three of the top manufacturers of Surfboard cloth.  It happens.  Hell!  You could have contaminated the blank when you blew it off.  Oil or water from your compressor would do it.  If they are bubbles yo should be able to razor cut them and patch.

Haha & lol.

Well I ended up sanding out the bubbles. It was a good bit of work and always mentally difficult to backtrack. I sanded through both layers of fiberglass wherever there was a big bubble. Then I mixed up some resin and hardner with micospheres into a thicker paste and filled in the spots where I sanded through the glass. Then sanded everything smooth and painted the board again covering up the white microsphere areas. This time I lightly sanded my paint job and then brushed off the dust with a clean brush. NO AIR COMPRESSOR! Then I glassed over everything with 4oz cloth and didn’t see a single bubble. 

you guys were right about the air compressor. 

thanks for the help! 

Nice save.  Well done.  It’s the shape that matters.  Looks like a fun ride.