Boogie fatality Morro Bay...

https://www.ksby.com/news/local-news/boogie-boarder-killed-by-shark-in-water-off-morro-bay

just so f’n sad…my god, the poor family

Very sad.

The biological world is brutally predatory.

we had something similar happen here in 2018. things definitely changed… 

doc…

Tragic…surfed the pit a lot back in the day.got chased out one time by the “ landlord” a calm,glassy overcast dark grey day.water was slick and murky. So many surf spots in that coastal zone that are spooky, especially on the days with the conditions I described…

Condolences to the family.

The creek that lets out right there was flowing pretty heavy all night before and through that morning.

Must have been really murky runoff.

Might have contributed to this incident?

So I am assuming that the previous death that has been referred to in the media was the goof ball gal who swam with the sea lions in Avila?  What was that 2007 or so?  And am I correct in thinking this attack was closer to Atascadero State Beach than the actual “Rock”?  Gonna see how good my memory is;  Chrisp;  Is that the creek where the Oil Pier was?    What was it?  Toro creek?   My memory fails.

Sad. Yes, things are changing. This is happening more often not to mention the number of sightings. I heard this and the first name that came to mind was chrisp. So I sent a holiday greetings in disguise to make sure you’re alright… Mike

Changing water temps., shifts in ocean currents, new migration patterns, 100+ surfers in a line-up…

“Sh!t happens” becomes the new normal.

Global human population:

1960 = 3 billion

2021 = 7.87 billion

According to a distinguished Harvard Univ. geneticist, 33 out of 65 credible scientific estimates place Earth’s carrying capacity at no more than 8 billion humans.

I’ll pick this up… ‘The Pit’ is practically a stone’s throw from the beach at ‘The Rock.’  There is a creek there (Morro Creek) with dirt parking lots on either side. 

The lady was attacked and killed in August, 2003.

There have been a number of shark attacks and sightings locally in fairly recent times.  

The old pier was at Toro Creek - taken out by large surf in the early 80s.

Come on John!  Is that pic of the red board for real.  Was that the board?  We used to surf the River/Creek (San Luis) after a big rain in Avila.  It had the best shape around, but man was it murky/brown.  Considering all the activity around SLO County the past few years, I wouldn’t even think about it now.  Oh yeah I remeber the Pit now, parking lot, high school etc.  Usually passed on the pit, because it was a pit(wave wise).

“Is that pic of the red board for real.  Was that the board?”

C’mon Lowel!  That pic of the red board is real and the shark attack in that event was real but not the same incident I originally posted.  It was a different incident that occurred in nearly the same place as the BOOGIE rider.  

I just posted that (and the warning sign from 2011) to indicate local events.  These are but two of several fairly recent deals.

PS… as with the creek at Avila, Morro Creek has it’s days when the sand outflow sets things up right.

Over the last decade the seal population here ( Cape Cod) has gone absolutely nuts, tens of thousands of 'em. Where I can recall when seeing one in transit elsewhere was a literally remarkable event, something you’d see once every couple of years, now there’s something on the close order of 50,000 of the things, all year. 

Which has led to a couple of other populations increasing. Great White sharks and idiots. 

Like the two women who had heard about sharks going after seals by some offshore rocks and decided they wanted to see it, so they paddled out there in their idiotic plastic kayaks so they could paddle right up to the action, possibly to shake their fingers at the sharks for annoying the cute little seals. Which kayaks wound up with a bite or two out of them, not  unlike that red board. They got back alive, I think because there were other voyeurs with actual boats in the vicinity, but they were real contenders for a Darwin Award. 

Meanwhile- we’ve been thinking about things here

doc…

That girl is damned lucky.

so lets go back not way toofar back…

let us recollect the gut at asilomar in monterey

pardon my spelling espanol es not always my most accurate

the kneeboarder who had his dog in the back sleeping on his stuff

scenting up his identity in the water subsequently…

we could consider confused identification

sharks smell stuff in the water and then bite it

as they evolved

away from touching stuff with their hands

as well as polite conversation in esperanto or farsee

which reminds me of their poor eyesight…

now dont buy that dog scented hand and hair creme for your full beardof

and apply it before going out…

offer it to that guy who always dropps in on everybody

or give him a tube for his birthday.

god bless this vanguard on the interspecies communications

the best laid plans of

mice and bodyboarders sometimes go awry…

covid doesn’t take em all…

mistaken identity unfourtunatly gets a few

may he rest in eternal peace surfing his favorite spot.

may we achieve eternity of our own some day

pursue life and bless us all in this 2022 year

thankfull for rain and sun…

…ambrose…

breathe air not water

the next wave is for you

we are the only ones out.

happy new year john…

No, it was’t near A-Beach. It was close to the Rock at “the Pit” . No where near Toro Creek. I was actually going to kitesurf that afternoon with my buddies when his wife (John - it was Tims wife-Kim)  sent the picture of the posted notice of the attack & decided to “take a day off”. I went over to A-Beach & talked to a park ranger and he was making sure no opne was getting in the water. I then went to Old Creek (cayucos) & let that crew know, but they got in the water anyway.

Thats a friend of mine Eleanor who was surfing at A-Beach. I spoke with her about the incident and she was very forthright about it. She was out with some friends & paddling into position. She sat up to check her position & then the shark"hit". She was really lucky! The company she works for even had a new board built for her. great people.

oh yeah ,I forgot,

dogs smell like seals,same canus[sp]

species,family ,phylum?

dog scent spells[smells]

seal outloud 

laying still on a body craft

swimming slower thahn a seal

spells MEAL invite a white to a great lunch?

and the taste of onions is most defintelie

not seal…