Peck Penetrator question (for Dennis Ryder)

Question for Dennis Ryder (if he still posts here) -

I have an opportunity to buy this board on island in Kaua’i. Likely your shape or Peck’s? Also - if you have any thoughts/opinion - how would something like this surf compared to a conventional shape? It seems to not have much rocker. Seller says it was made for Hanalei which is where I’d likely be surfing it, but opinions on surfability seem to vary with these things so figured I’d ask. I frankly don’t want something that’s going to be difficult (but don’t mind adapting to a board…and currently rotate through around 25…so new isn’t bad, but difficult would be). With the flattened rocker (or so it seems from the pics), my immediate concern is getting the thing down the face. As an aside, obviously someone installed the fin backwards.

Thanks and merry Christmas!

***Editing my post here because Swaylocks says I’m not authorized to post a reply (and don’t know how else to respond). I seem to recall a website modification which restricts my abilities here, even though I’ve been a member for something like 13 years. Anwyay…thanks for both replies. @McDing, based on what you say below and what I’ve read elsewhere, I almost wonder if this was Peck’s personal board (since he lived here, etc.). Helpful information regardless, so appreciated! @Icc - kind of what I was privately postulating…but was also hopeful that flatness would get me in early to obviate the issue. I’ve otherwise got boards here suitable for just about anything. I just like to ride different shapes and seeing that board pop up here (where much less is for sale than in San Diego or Oahu) had me salivating a little. That said, I’m surfing less these days - and the bay is crowded - and I don’t want to buy an exercise in frustration. 

Most likely a John Peck shaped board.  No MP logo so probably 2nd or 3rd generation.  If it was a Dennis Ryder board it would have a DR logo and a Dennis Ryder signature.  Peck deviated more from the original MP Penetrator than Dennis Ryder did often changing up widths overall, tailblock etc.    Dennis shaped most of the early Penetrators and over the years has refined them greatly, but still maintaining the original template and style of the shape.  That board probably was shaped for Hanalei and would no doubt ride it to head high or so.  Beyond that and you would have trouble on take offs and getting into trim before getting pitched.  Penetrators trim and nose ride like few boards do.  They cut a wake thru the face and are very fast from the nose.  The negative is that it takes a few waves to be able to turn or cutback on a board that really was a “forward trim” board.  Tom Morley held the “Ventura Invitational” in which different manufacturers showcased their Nose Rider designs.   While the whole time he was already manufacturing one of the best nose riders ever.

too little rocker for Hbay…find a good used HPLB, you’ll be happier

There’s not going to be much overlap between the surfers who would buy a Penetrator vs those who favor an HPLB.    They are designed to be surfed very differently.   

Well…so now I can post a reply. Not sure why I couldn’t before, but thanks again for the answers in case my edits above (in lieu of a conventional reply) were missed.

@Gdaddy…a HPLB is one of the very few shapes I don’t own, so you might be onto something there. 

I’m sure Peck would tell you that board would handle Hanalei just fine.  He would probably tell you that is what he designed if for and so therefore, etc. etc. Wouldn’t  be surprised if that was one of his personal boards.  I used to see him between SanO and Santa Cruz during the late 90’s in his VW and that board looks exactly like what I saw him riding.   Doesn’t mean I would ride it at Hanalei, but Peck would…  There is some footage of Peck in Hawaii on one of Morey’s “Snubs” ( just previous to the Penetrator).  I think it was “Golden Breed” footage.

Update - I stopped by the seller’s place and saw the board in person. It has more rocker than the pictures suggest for sure, and I don’t see that being a particular issue. I was actually suprised that the rails looked more conventional than I anticipated as well. I suppose I was expecting a hard edged downrail all the way up through the nose, but they were much “softer” than that. I own an old Hynson for comparison, and I guess was expecting something more like that.

I’m not sure if I’ll buy it or not though - I bought a Joe Bark paddle/surf “glider” (looks very gun-like) earlier in the morning - so I need to decide whether I want to drop that much more cash. If I buy it, I’ll try to remember to post a ride report.

Thanks to all again!