Dust extraction - planer

So, whats the better option for dust collection off the planer… use a cyclone collector between planer and shop-vac, or just ditch the cyclone collector and run planer straight off shopvac?? 

cheers legends!

I built this setup for about $20 and have been extremely pleased. Hooked my shop vac to one port and planer hose to the other port and gotten very little dust clogging my vacuum filter. There is also an extra update on his channel with some reinforcements. 

https://youtu.be/1WnitgYFnE0

I got one of those Oneida Dust Deputy kits with the cyclone, lid, and hose and put it in from of an old 5 galllon wet/dry vac with a HEPA filter and have logged 100’s of hours sucking up after my CNC router. I have been pleased with it and It works on the planers too when I can find the ‘slinky hose’ to hook it all together…

Oneida Dust Deputy

I did the blender-shaped cyclone filter to a thick gauge 5 gallon bucket before my shop vac, plus one of those fleece sock filters over the shop vac filter. Almost no dust even makes it to the shop vac canister, it all stays in the cyclone filter bucket. Very little cleaning of the filters and I just dump the bucket after each board.  It’s a lifesaver. 

Yes got to have a “cyclone” between the planer and the vacum.  Works better, more efficient and adds a few years to your shop vacs life.

Cheers Mcding… thats what I needed to hear! Cyclone it is. Thanks all for your insights!

My big thing is the noice of the shop vac.  If you haven’t bought one yet, buy one with low db noise level.  Sadly even the brand "Shop Vac " doesn’t post the db level on the label.  Otherwise put the Vac in the room next door to your shaping bay or outside the shaping bay wall…  

I do have the vac already unfortunately… but will be wearig ear protection so shouldnt be major issue. Ive been a drummer for years so need to hold onto what little hearing i have left!!

If you are in this for the long haul then invest in a Fein Vacuum.

They cost at least twice what a noisy “Shop Vac” costs but worth every penny. 

Super quiet with an outlet built into them that you plug whatever tool you want to collect the dust from in to. 

Yes “Fein” is vey fine.  My choice for the best and quietest Vac.  While it is true that the Bosh and Festool vacs are both very good;  Fein is right there alongside them in quality and costs less.

My brother got something that fits over a standard outdoor trash can. It’s connected to his shop vac with a larger diameter hose. It works well for large amounts of debris like when we mill wood. I use a cyclone attachment on a 5 gallon bucket with my shop vac. The way I make boards ends up making a lot of waste. I’ve had to empty my 5 gallon bucket several times when I turn blocks of foam into a surfboard. That’s the only downside to a 5 gallon bucket. Make sure have a way to setup the vac hose so that it stays above the board and not dragging on it.

I made a cyclone dust collector and hooked it up to a 7 gal. bucket (yes , I said 7 gal.) Talk to a swimming pool chemicals supplier. They have a ton of these. From there, I have it hooked up to one of the Harbor Freight small dust collectors. It works very well, with very little foam dust into the cloth bag.