Early 1960s Hobie?

Is there anyone who can put an approximate date on this Hobie board?  It looks like maybe a transition-era board before Hobie started using the diamond logo.

Wondering if it was a custom or for a team rider since it doesn’t have any markings.

Perhaps Mr. Thrailkill has some insight if he is reading this.

Thanks

Probably a 1967 board.      Possibly made by one of the shapers as a personal board.       The  HOBIE letter fonts are solidly from the flower child, psycadelic era.     The fin influenced by G Greenough, and Yellow Fin Tuna tailfins.     All of that came to the surface in 1967.     My prime suspect here, is Mickey Munoz.    Just my suspicion.    Hope it helps.

what are the dims

Thanks 

As always, thanks for your valuable insight. 

Approx. 8’11". 

i don’t have any other dims on it. 

In 1967 ANY BOARD less than nine feet long, was considered to be a ‘‘Mini Board.’’       In its day, your board would have been considered quite radical.       It was easily at the leading edge of what came to be called, ‘’ the Shortboard Revolution.‘’

I shaped something very similar in late 68.    Same kind of overblown “pin tail” and full nose with an early Bahne fin box.  And I would concur that Munoz is suspect.  Either his board or shaped by him for someone in the Hobie circle.

Hobie was using the diamond logo by 1960.

The font in that lettering is unlike any label I have ever seen on a Hobie. I suspect it is not a Hobie at all.

Good observation.  

Same font.

AN EVEN BETTER OBSERVATION !      Well done, my man.

Look really close.  What’s on that board almost looks as though it were cut out with a pair of kindergarten scissors.  Crude compared to the “Corky” Model.

Y’know, I’m with Bill on this.

Back in the day we had some Webers come though, the team boards and  axperimental  Stratos, and the decals and suchlike on a lot of them were ‘adaptations’ of the standard decals and logos. After all, they were not any particular model, though they may have anticipated something that came along later with its own specific decal. 

Team boards - we were at the end of the East Coast tour route, a few factory  guys would come through , having started in Florida, and then fly home, leaving their boards with us. Some of those were , charitably, cobby, by no means as nicely finished as the production boards. . 

This one has all the signs of that sort of thing, a bit experimental, a bit quick and dirty for somebody connected with Hobie.

hope that’s of use

doc…

I had a strong suspicion that the lam was from the transitional era. It looks like there was some repair to the nose and the fin area.  I’m wondering if the lam was put on during the repair.  Possibly a longer board cut down.

Volan bottom, and Silene deck with free-lap, and Volan deck patch.     The Volan cut-lap in the tail area, reveals the original outline of the board.    So no, not a cut down or modified larger board.      A true ‘‘mini board’’ from that era.     The glassing schedule above, was considered to be  ‘‘state of the art’’ at that time.

No disrespect , but would  a transitional board “sport” such a tail block?

Who knows what was in that 1967 shapers mind?   ‘‘High density foam’’ was recently available, new tech at that time.     How else could you tastfully use it on that tail shape?      Looking back, many strange things were being done to surfboards, at that time.

Yup.

1967 is the year shit really started getting wierd in the surfboard world.

To me that rice paper lam does not look as it should.  Compared to the lam in the picture that Sammy posted it is amateurish.  If it was an original Hobie lam;  someone obviously botched it when they scissor cut it and separated the letters.  Honestly?  Do you really think that sloppy scissor cut is the work of the Hobie Factory.  The work of a Patterson or St. Pierre(?) ??  I doubt it.   That logo puts the origins of this board in question.

Not for me.     When I was shaping for HOBIE in early 1965, I saw Phil get upset with Bobby Patterson, over a botched logo on his personal board.       That same personal board of  Phil’s is now in the board collection of Joe Roper.    Even the best craftsmen, sometimes fail to do a perfect job.