The Pig That Never Was

The mid/late 1960’s was the era of model named surfboards.      The Performer, The Competator, The Penetrator,  etc.     Not to be outdone, I was going to (tongue in cheek) bring out a pig model, to top them all.     Named after the ‘‘Pig of Steel’’, ‘‘THE WONDER WARTHOG DOMINATOR.’’   In 1959 I made a 7’ 11’’  balsa pig, and in 1960 made an 8’ 8’‘balsa pintail.     So, before I could build the ‘‘Wonder Warthog Dominator’’, an 8’ 7’’ x 22’’ x 7’’ sq tail, the ‘‘shortboard revolution’’ kicked in.     Boards quickly moved into the seven foot range.   The WWD never got built.    That is soon to be corrected.    With the lighter /stronger foam of today, and better glassing, this could well be a HP surfboard, for those 2 foot, to 10 foot, SoCal waves.

Where do I drop my order form? Can’t wait to see it!

Not to be confused with the truly awful Weber Pig 

about the best thing about them was the giant Guidance System fin which would hit the bottom, fall out, get lost ( and you couldn’t find a replacement)  and the really bad board would then become a merely poor coffee table.  

doc…

Yep, those things were real oinkers.

Fineline and others have been doing midlengths with a somewhat similar template for years.   Hilbers and Putnam were doing the Hot Generation board which is really similar to what you’re talking about:  Lengths up to about  8-4, wide point is 6-8" behind center and they were using an 8" arc tail in the rear. Mount the flext fin @ 8" forward of the tail block.    Hilbers does a round tail version that he calls the Puerto Rico which runs a little narrower in the tail.   Widths run 17-17+" in the tail @12"; 22-23" at the wide point and 16-16+" in the nose.   

I think one difference in that design is that they use a low tail rocker, ~2" and set the bottom up like a semi-hull.  The board was designed to surf off the fin, not oriented to nose riding or trimming from the front.      A more traditional rocker and fin setup would surf quite differently.  

https://mollusksurfshop.com/products/84-fineline-hot-generation

https://mollusksurfshop.com/products/84finelinepuertoricoyellow