Left Over Resin

Ok, so have seen a few crew putting leftover resin into silicone moulds to make different objects/gifts/giveaways etc… wondered about doing something similar … I only use poly but wondered how it would go if I was to fill a few silicone moulds with my leftovers?? Not sure if better to do this with the lam or hotcoat?? Anyone having some fun doing this want to shed some light!?! Cheerio

I’ve only done it once, but with good results. I ordered some silicone lollipop molds and some hex keys. I placed the keys as you would place the lollipop sticks and then poured leftover colored lam resin in the molds. They made great fin keys. They cured hard, but the exposed side was a little sticky for a bit and would pick up pocket lint, etc. I’m sure hotcoat resin would be better, but its also clear, so not as much fun. 

As was said, hotcoat resin will harden better, the lamnating resin doen’t completely harden in contact with air- except…

You will note that your board doesn’t pick up lint? Yeah, the laminating resin is sealed up, so it can harden completely. 

Well, take your leftove lam resin- allen key lollipops and dip them in or brush them with leftover hotcoat or gloss, sealing them up nicely. With any of them, very quickly stir in some metalflake or what have you, to make it interesting, or do the coating over a teeny tiny rice paper version of  your logo if you’ve fallen prey to such egomania. And if one doesn’t work, you’re out a 17 cent Allen wrench, no major loss. .

have fun. 

doc…  . 

Tom Mahady had a leftover resin trick to make Skil or other knobs using a light bulb.  Remove the metal screw-in part and just pour the leftovers in the bulb shell.   When partially full, stick in a bolt (or nut) then finish filling.  Alternately you can just drill a hole for files and other tools.  When full, break the glass off and brush some hotcoat resin on if you were using lam.  You can use any sort of bulb size.  Tom has a photo of his Skil with one of those knobs in the Marketplace. 

I have done a couple knobs and things using leftover resin. I love those Madahy planer knobs, I tried the light bulb one with epoxy and I was not able to cleanly release all of the bulb shards from the casting. My mistake may have been washig the clay coating out of the bulb first. My RV has a shift lever knob of tinted resin cast into a asprin bottle and my concrete garage floor has about a dozen pukas filled in with the 1-2-3 oz I seem to overmix when doing lams or fill coats. 

Five gallons of leftover resin from Ahoy Fiberglass collected over about six months. A few sections cut off and shaped in to platters the rest will be blanks for tail and nose blocks.