Looking for a shoe for Skil Model 100 Planer

5 posts |
Last post
Floridad's picture

I inherited a nice Skil Model 100 planer that's missing the height adjustment shoe.  Everything works great, just need to find a shoe.

McDing's picture

That's a hard item to find.  There is a limited # of Skils in the World and every time some dope throws one down on a concrete floor and crack$ the front show;  There is one less functional Skil 100.  I will look thru my stuff.  I might have one that had a chipped corner, so I rounded it off.  Don't remember if I kept it or gave it to PeteC.  Who is probably your best bet for that part.  At one time Pete had several front shoes milled at a machine shop.  Doubt that he has any left, but he may have an original laying around.  I had mine replaced with Petes after market shoe because I like the angle of the nose better.  But most of the time I gave Pete my old ones. I think he gave the one with the chipped corner back to me.  Usually he does not have key parts for very long.  So many shapers use Pete as a go to source that when spare parts come up, they are gone the next day.  Try to PM him via here at Swaylocks.  As I said I'll look thru my parts.    Lowel.  PS Sorry I didn't think about answering this post sooner.  Hope you see this.

That which can be assorted without evidence was read in an illegal magazine.

Floridad's picture

Thanks McDing.  if you come across it, I'd be interested. i first checked with Pete C but he is out of shoes, as you expected. he would need to make a larger run to make it worthwhile. Pete guesstimated he would need to charge $450 to make it. That's a little too rich for my blood. I do a lot of boat work with aluminum and I'm capable of fabricating one, but am always looking for the easier route. If I find one that has a divot or needs some extra lip, I can fix/add and reface as needed. However, fabricating one requires very tight geometry, so. if you find it, please message me!     if not, I will either fab one myself when I get time or sell this one for parts.  many thanks for replying!  if I fab one, I may make several and offer them for sale.  

McDing's picture

I'll look thru my mess this weekend.  To make this one normal you would have to add material on the front.  Originally it had a chunk or piece missing on a front corner.  I rounded the front to make it usable, but eventually replaced it with one of Pete's .   I'll let you know.  I think I've got a shoe box of stuff there somewhere.  If I come across it, you can have it for the shipping. 

That which can be assorted without evidence was read in an illegal magazine.

hoggatg's picture

I'll take one if you decide to fabricate several.