46 years later… What are the odds?

Swaylockian NorCal contacted me with a question about a label, Space Vehicles, because of a comment I had made. He found an old Space Vehicles board, and wondered about the brand.

I said yes I knew the shaper, we were friends, but I lost touch over the years.  Me and several of my friends rode Space Vehicles back in the day.  I said send me pics, maybe I can contact the shaper.

Son of a gun if he didn’t send me pics of my old board! I knew it right away.

Thnx to the kindness of NorCal, I am in the process of being reunited with this old friend. I bought it back in 1976, dinged it up at a sizeable day at Hookipa before the kiters had taken it over. Did the crappy repair work myself. 

Huck , Good to see you are alive and kicking and survived the covid , we have missed you .

Nice to have an old friend back.

Both you and the board.

We missed you.  Hope all is going well for you.  

Thnx guys. Its been a bumpy ride. Had some serious personal issues after losing my entire family over a relatively short time period. But I am on the mend emotionally, 

I am pretty excited about being reunited with this board. Planning to see if I can improve on my ding  repair skills of 40 plus years ago. And see if I can still manage to ride a wave or two on it!!

Here is a photo of the logo I designed for Space Vehicles sometime after purchasing this board.

Good to hear from you Huck.

Looking forward to see what you do with the board.

Did that logo ever make it to a t-shirt?

You missed your calling, as a GRAPHICS DESIGNER.      Points given for such a display of talent.

Good to hear your are still with us.  Did you do that airbrush art on the board?

Not 46 years but how about 30 years almost to the day?  For years I’ve searched craigslist periodically looking for old boards.  About 10 years back my very first board showed up on the first page of craigslist when I did my usual search.   30 years almost to the day of when I traded it in to buy my second board.  Drove two hours to buy it back for $100.

Thnx guys for the positivity, not enough of that going around lately so I’m drinking it up lol. I got in contact with the man, Gary Baker, he has started shaping again and is stoked about the board, and we are talking about t-shirts. I will let you know.

I didn’t do the airbrush, I didn’t know Gary when this board was made.

Mako that is very cool, wish I had a good pic like that but can’t find one. Did you hang the board in your house? I’m trying to decide how and where or even if I should to display it.

Mine is not on display.  Its on the rack with the rest of the boards.  I’ve fixed the dings so my youngest can ride it.

A simple thanks for this thread. Loved drinking coffee and reading these stories.