Type of plunge router?

Not stoked to learn that the “one shot” center fin install kit for Futures requires a separate router than the one needed for the two shot (one used for twinnies).  2 routers needed to do a 2+1. Anyway what is the best type of plunge router for this job? (The kit includes the bit).

Futures recommends the Ryobi.  Just about any plunge router will work.  As long as it plunges easily and the base is compatable with the jig.  Take care to set the jig properly and make a few test passes before you take it to your blank.  I have what used to be the Cadillac of routers.  A Porter Cable with both bases.  I find that it takes to much pressure and effort to plunge.  I have a “red” Cheap Skil that works better.  Lowel

Can’t you just not tighten the sleave on the makita fixed base router and slide it down into the foam for the lb center fin box? Essentially using it like a plunge router? 

I have exactly the same router (#690)with another D-handle base for production edge work and dovetail jigs. Lovely tool, for what it’s good at, like doing timber frame mortises and so on. But for munching foam it’s way overkill. 

Porter Cable made the best routers, not sure if they still do, haven’t bought one in years. They are making something that is pretty much what you need , essentially a good laminate trimmer plus a plunge base, but… do you seriously need top quality for something you will be using maybe twice a year for fifteen minutes a pop? But this gives you an idea of what you want: small, light, easy to handle . No more than around 6 amps- ‘horsepower’ in routers is , shall we say, imaginitive. One of the great big 15 amp plunge routers will be a brute that will get away from you and ugly will happen.

There’s a bunch of similar ones to the PorterCable out there. Hit up Amazon, Lowes, Home Despot. Your friendly neighborhood used tool store. Don’t spend a lot. Get one with a decent ‘regular’ base, laminate trimmer sized routers are really handy for a lot of routery things. I use them more than my regular routers.

Now, if you want to talk big mortise and tenon, that’s entirely different. 

hope that’s of use

doc…

Sure.  As long as you think you can accurately control the depth.  But because of the base you most likely won’t be able to use it with the " one shot" jig.