1+2 Fin placement on 6'6 Pintail

Hey there,

Im building a 6.6 Pintail board which I’d like to surf in pretty much all kind of conditions. I’ve been thinking of surfing it as a single fin in smaller mushier surf and as a twin or maybe 1+2 when it gets bigger.

any help how far from the back I should put the center fin as well as the side fins would be greatly appreciated. been thinking of 3.5" from tail for center (pretty big box I have, think 10") and around 8"ish for the sides…?

Thanks guys:)

Let’s see the board

That’s the board atm

Not a board!  Yet.

• Im building a 6.6 Pintail board which I'd like to surf in pretty much all kind of conditions. 

IMO, this is a mistake.   Whatever boards you already have on hand will have their own respective niches.  When adding a board to your quiver you are trying to fill a hole.   So build a board that fills that hole on the no-compromise basis.  Then build another board to fill another hole.  Then when you go surf you can take 2 or even 3 boards with you and make the final call which one you’re surfing when you get there.   

That’s the whole point of build-your-own; to wield sole control and to avoid making compromises.   If you’re going to build a singlefin for bigger conditions then do that, and then do a different board for small wave conditions.   

Thanks for helping… still would like to have an idea if anyone has knowledge about.

maybe should have wrote in varying of conditions, not all. Say I’d like to have it similar to this with a single fin option. https://www.mundo-surf.com/en/funboard-surfboards/7182-js-big-baron-surfboard.html#/

It’s in the placement.  If you don’t get that right, the board might work as a 2+1 but not a twin.  Or vice versa.  If you’re intent on doing this you’d be wise to throw out hard measurements and just eyebal the placement.  Try sighting a few combinations by placing the fin boxes on the shaped blank; first the 2+1 and then the twin.  See if you can come up with something that will transition from one to the other.  If not the alternative is to put in two extra boxes.  3.5 is an ok place to start for the center, but 3.5 is really a Thruster mark not necessarily a 2+1 or Single fin measurement.  You’d really be better off with two boards.

“Singlefin option” means setting a Future or Bahne box at probably 4-5" from the tail.   It also means taking the singlefin configuration into consideration when setting up your bottom contours and rocker.  Meaning, flatter than you would use for a thruster.   

Not to hijack, but could you explain that a little more GDaddy? 

single fin = less rocker than thruster. I haven’t read this before and want to understand the why. Thanks!

look forward to your final product there man!

To be clear;  Any reference I made to eyeballing placement would be done on the finished and shaped blank.  Which  would be problematic because a Twin Fin would be shaped differently from a Single etc.  Bottoms for each design would be different.  I understand where daddy’s going.  Better to shape two boards.

For those kind of project need a go everywhere shape, something basic and soft, mellow rockers, medium rails subtil bottom contours, flat or light concave center, little vee back. All but far from extrem. At this size i put 10" box at 80mm from tail, front fins at 280mm from back, so can be use from single to thruster. For twin need some boxes with fins at 200mm from back. Can be use as twinzer with custom made front. Quad option is fins at 125mm from back. This is my basic measure for 6’6 board with a mellow standard shape, rocker, outline, rails, foil and bottom. Everything out from this probably need adjustment, specially if tail shape is a little far from standard…