Logo with Tinted Resin

About to glass my second board, and I was wondering how the “empty” parts of the logo would show up when laminating with tinted resin. My goal is the pair on the top, but will the white regions shown end up a different shade than the rest of the deck lam? What are my options besides cutting out those parts after I print?

Bonus points if you can guess the tail shape. 

Ummmm- squashtail? 

As my old Ethics professor used to say“that depends” - in this case on what you’re printing it on. And the best way to find that out is to print one out and glass it to something random. If the paper becomes effectively transparent when it’s saturated, all good. 

If not? Change paper.

Or, get cute with Paint or something similar and fill (the tipped paint can) in the ‘white’ or clear areas of the graphic with either a pretty close match to your tint, possibly a little lighter, or a third color that looks good. You might wind up zooming in so you can close up ‘white’ areas pixel by pixel and that way using the ‘fill’ doesn’t suddenly turn the whole background into your fill color.

You can probably guess how I learned that one. 

doc…

Can’t believe I didn’t even try testing it out before I asked, oops. I’ll just chalk that up to me being stingy with logo paper

If you want a white back ground, you have to make it white.  If you want the tint or color of the board to show thru transparent areas of the lam/logo;  leave it clear.  Simple as that.  A two color lam of black and white, means simply that the lam/logo will show up on the board as Black detail with white background or sometimes as the case may be the exact opposite;  ie White on Black.  Black on White means exactly that.  Black means Black.  

I love me some colored lams!

The rainbow ‘Arsenal’ and tri-color JRANDY oval are screenprints, rest are laser or inkjet. The ‘jungle mandala’ was colored in with alcohol based markers.

Naah, don’t let it bug ya. It’s a fair amount of work, that test/experiment. Asking could save you that trouble, though you’d want to get specific about what sort of paper you’re  usiing and so on. 

Now, jrandy has brought up something interesting, though rather than silk screening on paper to stick on, has anybody tried silk screening right onto foam? I used to do a little rep work for a screener and I’ll tell you they have inks and processes that work on pretty much anything, from rubber coated foul weather gear to plastics to stainless cooler cups. 

Might be interesting to try

doc…

So based off your mandala I’m assuming any part of the logo paper free of ink is going to appear transparent after glassing. Looks great btw!

Coloring directly onto the paper has been on the back of my mind, but I’ve been worried about the ink bleeding ever since I drew a logo in sharpie directly onto the foam of my first board… and now I just play it off as a resin swirl attempt 

on another note, anyone ever stick logo paper on some glassed on fins? just a thought 

LOL on the Sharpie comment. I have done that too, thinking it would be a good idea to mark a blank with a bright colored marker…and then find a smeared line or dot underneath the glassing somewhere later.  The markers used for coloring in the mandala have a media/paint that has some body to it. Got them at Michaels ( a big arts and crafts chain store). The sreenprinted stuff is acrylic paint (rainbow) and waterbased screen printing ink. I use all of this with epoxy with good results. I should try some with poly and see how they go.

Best to test any new combinations of color/paint/logo’s on scrap before dedicating them to a board.  If you were to use a tinted resin, the solid white should hold on its own but the overlaying cloth and neighboring paper will take on the tint so it may not be 100% ‘pure’.

You are doing some nice work.  Practice makes perfect.  And you have been practicing.  Sticking with it has paid off.  Lowel

Yes.  Just put the lam/logo under the fillets that you lay up on the sides.