Eps blank air bubbles

Hi, 

I’ ve never experienced so much air bubbles coming out. When I mixed epoxy and microfibers to make the surface even got a lot of small air bubbles. I thought it was the resin mix that had been frozen for a while.

Yesterday i glassed it 3 x 4 oz with plenty og resin and a big bubble was forming every 15 min. I put a 0.5 oz layer on top and to layer og peel ply to see if it could help. I helped a bit but the air was still coming out. I put a bit of weight on a it so it helped.

I never seen that much air coming out. Never on polyurethane  and even on eps. What can be causing it? 

Microfibers would be for stength, microspheres would be for smooth filling. I have also done the lightweight spackle thing.

What part of the day were you glassing? Popular theory is that EPS should be glassing in falling air temps, air cooler than board,  so that the foam ‘inhales’ instead of ‘exhales’.

I will do a first side lam any time of day since the rest of the blank is uncovered but after that I will wait for temps moving in the right direction or until I have vents installed in the EPS boards.

Hi, i had a situation like that in the past, and i came to the conclusion that it was a contamination .

I know what jrandy refers to too, but for me the outgassing always showed up with dozen of pinholes that were hard to fill, but not massive bubbles.

Its hard to say what it actually is, there are too many variables factoring in.

Could be contaminated air from the compressor, if you blew it of. Or contaminated solvent If you cleaned the surface. Maybe the core took something in thats reacting heavy with your resin. I had paint react with epoxy…

Lubricants like silicon spray make painting and glueing a nightmare …

Not really helpfull, but i feel with you.

I used the microfibers because the mix was in the freezer and  I just used that  (lazy bitch).  That room has 22 degres C the whole year :slight_smile: but maibe I sanded the baord in the garege 3 degrees C and the whe I glassed in that much warmer room… mmm

So that’s a repair?  Not a lam?  

I can’t tell much from your pictures.  If it were actually air escaping and making air bubbles the solution is to place a bag of ice on the board to lower the internal temp of the board and draw the resin in.

If you are having a surface contamination issue causing fisheyes that’s a totally different issue.

Sorry, only a repair

That delta in temperature, going oppsite than preferred conditions, might explain the puffing of wet cloth at the repair sight. Boyle’s Law and Charles’s Law on Wikipedia with the animated GIF’s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyle%27s_law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles%27s_law

And if you are working to repair boards at 3 degrees C I would not call yourself lazy…