Ding question

Hey guys 

Long time no talk. Been doing more surfing and less shaping. 

I got this weird ding which was either from a rock somehow or a fin that I have no recollection of even coming close to 

Would you repair this with a layer of glass or just fill it with resin. It’s weird because it’s not really through to the foam at all and is really long

I’m kind of tempted to re hotcoat only. Thoughts?

For sure a layer of glass. Good insurance.

Looks like a rock did that.  Clean it out.  Appears to have residue or dirty wax in the cut.  Which means it’s deeper than it looks.  Needs at least a layer of 4oz, but I would do a 6oz or two fours.  Hot coat and sand.  It’s on the deck so cosmetics are under wax.  It needs to be water proofed and strengthened.  If water gets in that crack and you step on it a few times, the foam will soften and eventually collapse.  That’s the kind of ding you get when you have your board fin up entering or exiting the water over jagged rocks.  If you didn’t get it that way;  You got it by laying your board down in a parking lot or sidewalk with a rock under it.  Probably has been there for a long time and you just recently noticed it.

Lol man you are such a sage.

My home break is this Rock death jungle and to save the fins I have to keep it flipped 

Definitely how I got it 

Hey guys 

You were of course totally right. Especially mcding (as always). The actual thing is actually down to the foam as predicted. I cleaned it up and it’s ready for repair

I’ve never had a ding this small. Would you still fill it with some q / epoxy and then Glass it?

Or is there ever a point where you just fill with epoxy as you lay the glass and then glass over top?

My current plan is to give it a little q 

Filler is filler for a reason, it allows you to make the deck flush with light EASY TO SAND INTO SHAPE foamlike goo before you lay the reinforcing fiberglass over the top. The only reason I’d fiberglass INTO a hole is if it’s in a high stress area (on the rails in the tail, where a fin tore out, etc) where I’m trying to distribute force across as broad an area of the underlying foam as possible. The weight difference isn’t much, but the color and PITA of cleaning up the reinforced filler is…kinda.

Fill it, sand flush to the deck, double up on 4 oz cloth extending about an inch all around the ding, after it dries blend the edges of the cloth to the deck with sandpaper, hot coat, final sand. That ding would be REAL easy to make it look professional, you’re not even reshaping the rail or attempting to match a subtle vee/concave on the bottom.

If you wanna be real pro, paint over the top with some kind of design and you won’t even know it’s there.

Pakiboy

OK cool haha 

As weird it sounds I’ve never fixed a ding this small before. I ended up just filling it. Looks ok but my beautiful tomo is now in the ding club of all of its brothers and sisters.

Thanks for guiding me back down the path I always knew in my heart was right. It got much easier after I tore the first bit of broken glass out haha. 

Pretty small, but a piece of 4 oz. on top will water proof it.

A layer of glass over that is a must.  Don’t just rely on filler.

Whenever possible, pull the pushed in original glass back flush to the surface and fill behind it. Especially if there’s color involved. You can then glass over it with clear and it will look as good as you are going to get it to look. Even on a clear board. Do it really right and it’s just about invisible. 

Way too many people figure they’re genius surgeons and they start cutting and sawing and ripping and routing. They’re wrong. They are making a nice simple job into a major disaster. 

Less is more. 

hope that’s of use

doc…