Greenlight Futures Install Kit Opinions

Aloha Gents, yeah I use that term pretty loosely.

I’m beginning my board building journey, kumbaya and all that bull$h1t, and I need some help.

I do ding repair and have for years, have a pretty good idea what is what with polyesther and epoxy, have most of the tools I need already, but just HAVE to know…

Is the FUTURES one pass kit worth it? I don’t plan on making a ton of boards, and Greenlight sells what looks pretty damn close for half the price.

Already have the router btw.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Pakiboy

Green light is an impressive company and have came up with a lot of tools, jigs and alternatives over the years. Having said that;  Their fin install jig requires a little more effort and finesse than the original Futures jigs.  The “One Shot” bit is the key to it all.  Time and efficiency  wise the extra money for the the One Shot jig and bit make it a no brainer.  Once you’ve did a few practice runs on an old board or blank it’s a piece of cake.  The old style “donut” Futures Jig require a couple of extra steps, but is still a good set up as well.  Last time I looked you could still buy those direct from Futures and Fiberglass Supply.  Considering how many of Futures and FCS boxes and plugs blow out on shallow reefs, I don’t know how somebody doing ding repair could get along  without set ups for all of 'em.

I worked in a shop and used their kit, now that I’m on my own I was trying to find a hack. I’ve made so many of my own tools over the years, it stings just a little bit to BUY a jig. But at the end of the day, it’ll probably save me time and money right?

Thanks,

Pakiboy

I’ve heard the owners of two of the best glass shops on the West Coast say they weren’t going to buy another jig and install for a new system.  The simple truth is that if the new system catches on;  They will have too.  And they did.