Painting Wood Stringer

I’d like to paint the stringer of my next board. My plan is to tape it off, (A) prime with Kilz Primer, then spray with Design Master Paint, or (B) skip primer and just use Posca acrylic marker. I have the following concerns though, anyone have experience with this?

1. Even though its primedm oil from the wood may leech through anyway over time

2. The RR epoxy may not adhere to the painted wood

Just tape and paint with anything water base and let dry 24 hrs. minimum. Forego the primer…   I have done a few with good luck.  I have painted and laminated boards the were already glassed when doing restoration with no problem.  There is always a possibility of a few issues that I won’t go into, but when you do a full lamination those problems are not likely.

hey man thanks so much. 

you just saved me time!

Yes, believe it or not;  you start to get a build up of primer plus paint that leaves the stringer high under the glass.  That’s the reason I have never primed them.  The glass job holds it down.  So no fear of delam.  Wouldn’t say this if I had never done it.  When I was doing restoration, I did stuff that many people told me not to do.  Experimental, but most of the time it worked out.  I did a fair amount of repainting old boards and then glassing with 4oz. Over it all.   And my personal opinion;  I wouldn’t let Kilz get anywhere near foam.  Consider using Interior house paint in FLAT.  It will stick to raw wood really well

You will have cristallization problems with most wood. Mainly Red Cedar.

Kilz will crytalize wood on or latex house paint will crystalize on wood?

…one day I went to the Elova foam (foam factory when Clark´s shut down) that then S Garcia put money (but sniffing burnt the money…) the guy there tried to be a shaper and painted the wood; they had all the boards cristallized and looked bad but they thought that looked good…

Why do you think that 99% of the boards do not have painted good? and most do not have fancy woods like red cedar etc. (ask Jim Phillips)

Even with tints red cedar and other exotic woods are a pain sometimes; no matter all the nurturing (in the last decades I did all types of tests; Phillips told me that in his last Europe shapeing travel he had many problems with these woods)

May be is better to try as a test first, then let it couple of days (some Sun over is important) and then see if the glass is ok or not. Of course epoxy resin is far better for that than the polyester ones.

Elova foam is complete crap.  More holes than Swiss cheese.  After Clark I handed off an Elova to Dave Gott to glass once and told him there was more spackle than foam in that blank.  Lol. Now I know what 3rd world country you live in.  Haha!

I have no idea whether you answered my question, which was a simple one.

Either way, I will deal with this after lam

Crystalization is always something that can happen, but most of the time not as likely.  It’s a pretty good bet you will have no issues,

I do not live in that Country as may be you remember when you asked about the Pope; the Football and other stuff. Anyway; that Country was one of the richest in the World before populism took over…like is starting to do in USA…just let them time. America is fucked like Africa was fucked.

weird

thanks anyway

Hello Jackaroe; if you read between lines you would see that is better not to paint over wood. If you want to do it; yes, is better with epoxy resin over. No matter the water based color; all tends to cristallize on wood; so I mentioned that better to do few test where the Sun etc should be involved to prevent future deceptions.

I mentioned that even with tints and some woods problems occur.

Of course epoxy is safier for that but you compare a finish in a high end polyester board and epoxy…and the differences are huge.

This is latex paint over a stringer.  Customer brought it to me to be glassed.  Originally I told him the same thing as always.  Flat latex paint.  Looks a little pink, but will probably come up much redder under glass.  I anticipate no problems.  I’ll post a pic after.  L

Question:  I’m seeing more and more prouction boards with very dark, nearly black stringers.  What are these stringers made of?  I like the look.

US Blanks Appelcore colored plywood stringers. They have an all black version.

https://usblanks.com/blank-options/stringer-selection-2/appelcore-stringers/

BTY, I get occasional request to paint the stringer on certain customs. A surefire way to avoid the paint crystallizing over the stringer on a Poly glass job is to pre-seal it with a coat of resin.

In a competitive market flush with good foam;  sticking with Applecore has been a smart move for US Blanks.  Lowel

…regarding appelcore; I used it when US blanks put em in the market; is a waste of money and time.

If you build quality boards; you will spend too much time (money) cleaning the tiny colored dots; is not something that you clean over passing and air compressor and just that (I repeat; depends on the quality of the finish that you work…)

I’ve decided for now to lay colored resin down on sanded hot coat…for stringer coloring and pinline. I did a couple this week and like where it’s headed. Easy enough to just sand off and try again if its not good. Will keep it simple until i feel this process is consistent and predictable

Yeah I have shaped them.  Alcohol dyed wood doesn’t throw flakes.  It’s not paint.  It’s dyed wood.   You must be shaping some South American “Knock off”. Not likely and not believing that tall story.