project board

Not that I need any new projects- I’m already backlogged as it is. But maybe I need a project to get me busy working on boards again. Now I have one, thnx to my friend Roger (proneman), who rescued this abandoned board for me.

You can do it.  My money’s on you.  Besides repairs, got any Ideas of what you may do with it?   If boards could talk.   That three stringered/tailblocked board was somebody’s “pride and joy” at one time.

Overall it looks pretty clean, but the foam at the delam area is super dark brown. Is that from salt water? It feels pretty solid tho, not real mushy, so im guessing there was a lot of water got in, but dried out before it turned soft.

the delam area is pretty big about 4’ along the stringer from the tail forward. I’m thinking of just cutting out the delaminated glass, maybe painting the foam to match the rest of the board, cuz Its so dark, then glassing a repair. Minimizing any change. 

but the other option is to make the repair area look like some kind of decorative accent

I cut out the delam, sanded lightly, and sealed the foam with epoxy resin so I can handle the board without using kid gloves.

I can’t really see the entire bottom but where you stripped the glass off between the stringers, it doesn’t look too bad.  For some reason I had this idea of ‘zipping’ the glass along the offset stringers all the way forward just for the sake of continuity.  That forward area is kind of lost in the shadows though so it’s hard to tell what’s up…If you could do a light bog filler/sealer the full length of the bottom between the stringers and sprayed it white, you could perhaps inlay some Hawaiian print fabric and glass over it.

A buddy of mine did something like that with a beater except he zipped his along the overlap cutline.  after inlay, reglassing, glossing and buffing, the dang thing won an award at a local board swap meet(!)

Well I’m def not gonna win any awards here, but I’ll be happy if I can get it back in the water.  It was a cool board at one time, looks like a decent noserider shape. It’ll gain a little weight, and may not be pretty, but I suspect its been a few years since it was really pretty anyway. I’m sure that was a factor when it was abandoned roadside at Zuma beach, where my buddy found it.

Really I’m just glad to be working on a surfboard again, I kinda got away from it for awhile. Not setting my sights all that high on this one.

Nice work, looks a helluva sight better than it has any right to. 

Remember, perfection is the enemy of good enough.

doc…

So it’s tanned.  It’ll be back in the water.   So wasn’t Dave Johnson “Progressive Design” or some variation of that?  What’s that logo on the bottom?

Yeah its brown. Looks older than it probably is. Probably sat out in the weather a lot.

wasn’t Dave Johnson the guy doing stoker V machines for awhile after randall and fowler parted ways?

one issue im having is around the perimeter of the cut away area I am finding areas of loose glass. Like delammed areas that weren’t literally delammed, but the attachment was tenuous. Now thst its next to the re-glassed foam it wants to separate. So I’m having to open little pockets around the perimeter of the re-glassed area and work resin in. I’ve run into this same thing on other de-lam repairs.

i glassed the foam with a layer of 6 and 4 oz, and it still seems just a hair low. I’m filling in divots and dents with glass and resin to eliminate the dimples.

overall its coming allong well enough, but these salvage projects are never as easy as looks at first.

Here you can see a dent I filled in with a couple layers of glass then sanded the edges flush, an area with loose glass I opened up to fill with resin (my third one), and an overall shot of the repair. I really hate to add another layer of glass, but probably will, 4 oz. “reinforced hot coat” style, meaning most of it will be sanded down. That will allow me to blend the repair as seamlessly as its gonna get.

Yes, Haakensen(sp) was his glasser for years.  90’s and 2000’s.

Oh boy!

Patch and repair as needed

I didn’t really dial it in like I could have, but its watertight and rideable. I’ll take it out for a few waves and mull over the possibilities.

Or, you’re not gonna get a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. But you got a plenty nice pigskin bag. 

Be happy with it

doc…

Looks real good to me.  Much better than it would look in the dumpster.  Dave Johnson ran alot of boards through Haakensen in the 90’s.  Almost all clears.  Used to see them up at Hirscher’s Wavelengths Shop in Morro Bay.  He always had several in there.  Another guy who ran a lot of blanks thru them was Jim L. At Fiberglass Santa Cruz(late 80’s–90’s).   He used to pull a trailer down to Oceano and Haakensen would meet him there at the parking lot by the entrance to the State Park.  Channel Islands also ran alot of boards thru there. Clears streamline your production.   Haakensen was a full on production shop putting out BIG #'s.  Still in biz, but a little different these days.

Yeah, pretty sure they do all Fowler’s stuff, he posts pics of his boards in their shop from time to time.

so I’m still considering going another step or two on this, just waiting for the break in my schedule to coincide with the inspiration.

i wanted to get some pics of filling the little dimples with glass, cuz it’s something the newbies ask from time to time.