Some questions about epoxy resin swirls

Hi all. Apologies if this has all been asked before but can’t seem to find the answeres. (Probably just not looking hard enough). Anyway, can someone please confirm if i’ve got this right as i’ve never used colour before. So, first mix the pigment to the epoxy (one main colour in one bucket and the others in smaller buckets), then mix hardener into each one, then what… Do I pour the little colours into the main one? Do I give it a stir? Any particular techniques for adding the colours, like from a certain height or something? Any advice, much appreciated.

Here is what worked best for me

mix up a batch of resin and hardener up in a quart cup.

Have a few little cups like 1 oz shot glass size with a popsicle stick and a dap of tint/color in it. pour some mixed resin into little cups and mix well. I like to drizzle /splatter clear resin on cloth so some stays white/clear. Also drizzle /splatter a little straight color randomly,just a pinch… then drop the colors into main clear batch,you can do a half stir . Then lay it all down ,I kinda do figure 8 ,random pulls with a squeegee … I tend to do 2 batches of resin ,the 2nd one clear after I lay the color batch down,mainly a once over and for the rails

hope this helps

have fun 

TT

Listen to Tom.  This kind of resin work is much harder to do in Epoxy and you must be quicker than you would have to be with Polyester.   Reason being that you are not adding catalyst to different cups of pigmented resin. You are adding 50% hardener to each cup of resin which dilutes the color.  I recommend that you use slow hardener.  This will give you the extra time needed to deal with different cups of color.  Add extra pigment to each cup to compensate for the extra Part B.  Having someone help you, especially on the rails is a good idea.  Get together with a buddy and have a plan.

Thanks for the advice guys… Sounds a bit more complicated than I’d thought lol. Unfortunately my garage barely has enough room for me and my board. Will have to see if I can rope the wife into mixing duties.

Low speed resin give you time deal with all mix but fast resin give better separation of color for cleaner swirls so… 

Do you add any additive f to any part?

Its been awhile since I did this, but IIRC I mixed 3 or 4 small cups of resin, hardener & color, then poured all of them, and squeegeed. It was fun!

Does the “Gordita” have a moustache?   Just wondering?

Hmm not sure what it has to do with the price of tea in china, but near as I can tell the gordita does not have a moustache

That Gordita looks a little hotter than the one on the board.

They both ended up on a board. One was called “gordita” and the other had an epoxy resin swirl. But no moustache.

Ah yes.  I remember her behind.