More info on this Hansen needed by Master Bill T

Hello All,

I just picked up this Hansen longboard and looking for its roots. Possible board model, looks like maybe it’s the 50/50 model outline but I’m not sure

Its a bit tanned, but from what I can tell the board was possibly colored and was stripped. The hot coat that was done is runny at spots and I can see brush marks. “Maybe I’m wrong”

The only number in the tail block / stringer is either an “S” with two dots or a “5” with two dots. I know there is normally a set of numbers and a letter for the shaper. 

The board is 10’ and 3.5" thick and about 23" wide and weighs about 30, 31 lbs

The fin is a bit on the short side at 8" tall when other D fins I’ve seen on older boards are  9" and taller

Here are the pictures, I am hoping Mr Bill T or anyone can fill in the blanks for me.

I love this piece of history

Thank you all

Aloha Andy,

What you have there is most likely a 1964 Hansen.       The ‘‘number’’ is in fact a letter ‘S’.      I recognize the handwriting as that of Fred (Buzzy) Smole.      He ONLY did that on his personal boards.      So what you have is a shapers’ personal surfboard.      Not related to a ‘‘model’’ per se, but may very well be a prototype of what later became the 50/50.   Frankly I think it is a great find.

It is not a model. Not every board made in the 60s was a specific model. Looks like a stock beachbreak shape.

Not every Hansen had a number and an initial. Some shapers just used a symbol with the number. If the number has a dot before and after it the shaper was likely Fred “Buzzy” Smole. If the number is a single digit that probably indicates it was one of the first shapes he did at Hansen. Bill will probably verify all this, unless I am way off.

Judging from the lam, it looks like the board was stripped and the lam was cut and replaced on the blank when it was reglassed.  Can you feel any bumps around the outline of the lam?

Don’t know exactly what is the case with that lam.  But it has something to do with the formerly bright red racing stripe it was laid down over.  I have seen old lams do that before.  It does not mean they are not original.  Most likely it was laid down with a piece of cloth under it and a piece over it on the sanded hotcoat after the stripe was painted on.   Not unusual to see the edge of the lam where it was scissor cut on an old board.  Depended on the quality of the rice paper used.   Looking closer though I see that there is water damage under it.  So it may have been removed and  reapplied during a repair.  Long before everyone had an HP or Canon copier.   Maybe?   Who knows.

Hello Bill,

Thank you so much for the history on this wonderful board. I cannot wait to get her 100% water tight and in the water…

I am super Happy Camper…

Once again Thank you

Andy

Mr Sammy A

Thank you for the knowledge, knowing this is a beachbreak shape is super cool.

Thank you Sir

Hey Surfifty,

No I do not feel any bumps around the lam.

Mr McDing,

Very interesting, Thank you for this info regarding the lam.