1967 hansen 50/50 thrailkill shape 10’2

Hi all,

I showed this board to Bill T a while back. He said he thought it is a 1967 board , which I believe is true based on the foiling. Anyone have a better idea of time frame based on serial number. I think it is 15612T . Also has a 50/50 lam.

thanks

Luke

I remember seeing a magazine ad recently in which those high density foam stringers were introduced.  I’ll have to go through the stack by the toilet and see if I can find it.  Lowel

I was wrong about the ad.   It was a Con ad and it was the first ad they ran introducing High Density Foam Stringers and Tailblocks.  They came in colors for an additional charge.  Sandwiched between two I/8 inch Cedar wood stringers.    The ad for Con was in Surfer May 1965.

Bill is usually pretty accurate when dating a 60s Hansen, especially ones that he shaped himself. He should be able to pinpoint the year and season.

I would ballpark the year as late 66 or early 67.

Clues? The color work and fin. The color job is a typical '67 thing. But, the fin is a first gen Hansen “Hydro Wedge”.

At some point in 1967 they changed to a fin with a shorter base that was adjustable via more than one female thread molded into the fin base.

All that aside, this board is in remarkable condition. The red hasn’t even faded from the 50-50 lam and the foam is super white. If I saw it on some random website I would guess it has been redone. Which leads to the obvious question. Is it all original?

YES.

Wow. That is beautiful.

Agreed.  An immaculate late 60’s Hansen.  It was hardly ridden and put away somewhere out of UV.  Could have been in garage rafters, deck up, against the ceiling.  The tinted bottom took whatever UV it was exposed to.  Have seen a few boards by other manufacturers that were still as brilliant color wise thru the years.  Examples of boards that saw little or no use and were not exposed to UV come around every once in awhile.  But they are fairly rare.  Everything was gradually getting better by 67.   Better resin, cloth and foam.  Manufacturers saw the selling point in “Surfboard Specific” materials.