McCo(p)y Nugget shape

I’m keen to hand shape a homage to a McCoy Nugget, but I know the outline & Loaded Dome is a difficult concept. Therefore I was hoping that someone might have an Aku Shaper (or similar) file that I can use to get inspiration from. Any help will be greatly appreciated! 

If you’re using Aku or Boardcad you can import an image for use as a background image.   Take a screengrab of your desired image, edit the image to flip it so the nose is pointing to the right.  Then go to

File> load background image

Put your cursor in the nose and press (control N)

Put your cursor on the center of the tailblock and press (control T)

Now you have an outline to follow.   The main thing to mindful of is that the pics posted online aren’t always to scale and they’re not always centered so sometimes one side doesn’t match up perfectly with the other side when using the CAD (which is centered).  The other thing to be mindful of is to not be a slave to the original design unless you love it so much that you wouldn’t change anything.  What they did is often and maybe always just the starting point for what you’re going to do.       

Sometimes i do brd files. I got a few. Here you have something like Mccoy Nugget (outline+rocket). Surely you have to accurate it to the “official” measurements, but “something is something”…

https://mega.nz/file/Q0dFlR4A#cpHjQ6JtRXgGuWajdeQJhJvULZ6T2zWjijZMda17Rm4

Grretings

Here is how I mark out the dome for a 22’’ wide board with 5mm of dome.

Once the rocker and outline have been shaped run a length of masking tape from nose to tail beside the stringer and put a mark every 6’'.

Then at every 6’’ measure the distance from the stringer out to the rail edge and divide this number by 5 and mark these points on the foam.

Repeat every 6’’ and do both sides. Then join these points creating nose to tail guide lines.

Also mark down 5mm on the square rail edge.

The numbers I use for the curve of the dome are

1/5 out from stringer .2mm

2/5 out .8mm

3/5 out 1.6mm

4/5 out 2.9mm

rail edge 5mm

First bevel (using a sanding block) is from the 4/5 line and down 3mm on the rail

Second bevel is from the 3/5 line and down another 1mm on rail edge.

Third bevel is from the 2/5 line down 1mm to the 3/5 line.

All the sanding is from nose to tail along these guide lines.

The final step blending the bevels into curves.

Good process gdaddy.  Well thought out.

One thing I have often wondered.

Can a shaping machine shape something as subtle as 5mm of dome into the bottom of a surfboard, or does it have to be hand shaped.