Decals on Black Surfboard

Hi,

Any advice for adding a coloured rice paper logo to a Black surf board? I have tried glassing on the foam directly and have tried adding graphics between layers of fibreglass- both times the logo fades to black :frowning: (My printer does not print white)

Any advice id like to add a simple logo.

Attached below is an example of what id like to do

Go to a sign shop and have them print a peel & stick decal.  You can forward your art via email or they can scan it.  Apply the sticker and cover with a clear coat.  Lowel

Found a company called boardlams that do opaque rice paper prints, do reckon the colour would be strong enough not to fade into black?

Another option I am looking at is spraying a white area on the board and add the logo in a normal way

I am new to shaping wondering when do you add the decals? (on the foam or between lamination layers)

“Logos” known as “lams” or “laminates” in the Surfboard Industry are laid down on foam or between layers of fiberglass cloth on foam during the lamination process.   They are printed on rice paper or mulberry paper that “disappears” when wet out with resin.  The best way to get a traditional lam to “pop” on a dark colored board is to print the lam with a white background…  You can print your own lams on a home printer.  The process has been described here on Sways.  

If you look at a lot of the vintage manufactures you will notice that many ( Weber, G&S, Surfboards Hawaii, etc.) have rectaliner logos which made them very easy to tape off.  Back then they would do the lam coat in clear with the logo under the glass.  When it came time to add the color to the hot coat or gloss coat they were able to tape off the logo and apply the color, thus showing the logo against the clear back ground.

Going to get a custom decal with white design and transparent background so the black foam comes through-

going to put this directly on the foam and laminate over the top, hopefully this works at a loss end with this board