is a standard 4+4 deck/ 4 oz bottom shortboard faster than the same board heavy glassed? (full 6)

hey,

I tend to get a lot of pressure dings beacause of my feet abuse on the deck. I asked a local shaper to glass my board 6+6 on deck and 6 at the bottom. (Is a 6.0 shortboard.)

He told me is not going to be so fast that way, because of the flex . (the lack of it)

is a standard 4+4 deck/ 4 oz bottom shortboard faster than the same board heavy glassed? (full 6)

thanks in advance

I am willing to bet that I could hand you and your shaper two identical shapes, one  glassed with all 4 oz and the other done with 6, and neither one of you could tell which was which by the way they ride…

Hey SammyA,

That is what I wanted to read. Thanks. I ended not buying the board from that shaper, but the words stayed. I think the board could feel more “lively” if it flexes more, though.

Anyways…

As Sammy said, it’s real unlikely that either of you would notice any performance difference. Or speed difference. Just how much more or less the board flexes? You could take two otherwise identical boards and place weights on them, see how much they bend. Or you could listen to what I would describe as typical made up shaper BS. 

What you would notice with the lighter glassing is more dents on the deck, followed by delamination and crumpling/breaking. So you need to get another board. Which may well be why the industry has pushed ultralight blanks and glassing. Sell more boards. 

hope that’s of use

doc…

With out a doubt it will be heavier and it will be stiffer.  Triple 6 on a shortboard is overkill.  Get a deck patch or do 6 x 4 on the deck side only.

Flex is most affected by board thickness.  For boards Identically shaped with the same foam, 6 vs. 4 won’t have much effect on board thickness.

Other than being more susceptible to pressure dings, IMO, the biggest difference will be mass.

This is a discussion that touches on the effects of board mass;

https://www.swaylocks.com/forum/44047/flex-research-problem2-massnot-weight

In a nutshell, greater mass might affect responsiveness.

Lighter board feel more manœuvrable with less inertia, easier to pump first, more acceleration but also bog easier. Inertia help to keep mouvement. Most of time pro want lighter boards, intermediates surf better on heavier one’s. 

Lemat is right.  A lighter board definitely feels quicker, but not necessarily faster.  Speed is in the design not the glass job.  Although there are things that can be done to the finish of the board that can increase its speed through the water.  Sanded finish, speed finish etc.  Heavier boards though tend to have more straight line speed or drive/glide.  Straight 4 oz glass jobs are “throw always”.  Meant for sponsored pros.  A normal West Coast USA glass job out of any glass shop is 6/4 deck and 6oz. bottom.  Generally you get anything different only if you spec it.

thanks everyone for sharing your opinions.

I have had very busy days, so it took me a while to write back. 

I finally bought a stock board from a quite known surfboard brand here in Argentina, and the results have been dissapointing to say the least…

this is the board in question, full 6 oz, that I was asking about.

I took measurements at home, and found out that the 6.1 x 22 x 2 5/8 written on the board were actually 6.0 x 21 7/8 x 2 5/8. ok, not a problem.

BUT. one of the front fins has the rear end almost 1/4 in from the dot (towards the stringer )

and the other is at least 3º less of cant. 

I know there is a lot going on about assymetric design but I feel like getting my money back

or what

Did you measure the length at the deck or the length from nose to tail at the bottom.  You usually gain as much as an inch due to rocker at the bottom.

Hey, McDing

I measured 6.0 nose to tail at the bottom.

At the deck is 5.11

He offered to make a new one because of the problem with the fin plug

Yes!   Too many mistakes with the tape measure.   Take the new one.    Measurements to me are more critical than a botched leash plug.   I’m just an average or worse glasser and have problems with leash plugs from time to time.   Usually if I drill them. They cosmetically may not loook perfect, but they don’t come out.  If I use a plunge router, they are usually clean.  I guess that why I like the Futures plugs.  Easy clean install with glass over the top.  What I hate worse that a poorly installed leash plug is a tail that’s with 1/4" wider on one side than the other.  Or as in your case incorrect cant. Lowel