What is This ?

Hi…I’ve received this planer that kinda sorta looks like a Skil 100…Sorry, I’ve used only hitachis since clark foam first modified um  in the early 80’s…

The trigger handle on this planer is a little different as well as the modified front handle…and of course the badge where a skill 100 goes is missing…

Could any skil 100 affectionado tell me what I’ve got…Is this a knucklehead, panhead, or shovelhead version of a Harley…or is it something else…Thx

Not an aficionado, but if it’s a Skil, it will say Skil somewhere on it.  Let’s put it this way;  has some similarities to a Skil, but NOT a Skil 100.

ok…I was just told there was only one casting of the skil 100…so there were no diffrerent versions of it…So what is this…

Man I don’t know.  I would take a small brass brush or even a tooth brush and some WD-40; to it and see if there are any stampings or engraving that might reveal a name or number that is currently hidden by corrosion.   Would like to see a pic of the bottom and the front shoe.  Does the shoe slide like a Skil?  I am assuming that lever on the front moves the shoe and controls the depth adjustment.  What does the drum look like?  Two blades?  The motor housing looks the same, but the handle appears to be attached and not part of the motor housing.  The knob setup at front is different. The dust chute is totally different.  Lowel

Its a PowerCraft Planer that was sold by Montgomery Wards in the 60s and 70s.  

1 Like

There you go.  That’s your answer.  I remember discussion of “Powercraft” on Sways way back when.

Thank you…Mystery solved

Definitely a Wards “Powr-Kraft”, but this is the first one I’ve seen with a depth lever.  Most came with a knob.  Obviously couldn’t compete with Sears who sold Skil tools without rebranding.  Contract made for Wards, some design elements look like Rockwell and Porter.

it’s been modified to adjust like a Skil.

it’s not all that difficult to do with a little thought.

use a Skil lever and a little machined block inside and your off to the races.  

great planers 

You’re right!  I can see where the hole for the adjusting knob was plugged.   That bracket holding the top knob is to reposition so the lever is closer to it like a Skil. 

I’m over making other planers like a Skil, easier to just get one.  This is was my last venture a few years ago:

Frankenplaner!!