Stepping away from the shaping rack

Yep, stepping away.       I’ve been ‘‘at it’’ for 64 years.      So, it’s time to start thinning out a few things.       I’m ready to part with my 1946 edition of Lindsay Lord’s book, that was so influetial on Bob Simmons, and surfboard design and history.          $200 dollars takes it home.     Contact me by PM.

I “liked” the post, but that doesn’t capture the correct sentiment.

However, it is a good feeling to think that because of your years of generously sharing knowledge, many new boards will continue to bring people joy with your imprint on them, even if indirectly. 

Cheers, Bill! 

erik

I’d say sorry to hear that but you’ve more than earned a break. Maybe get to do a bit more of the many other things you enjoy. Hope you’re not going away, I’ve very much enjoyed our discussions both in the forum and privately.

Now, a book plug: Lindsay Lord’s Naval Arcitecture of Planing Hulls  is the nutz. And I’d say the 1946 edition is the ‘purest’, the only way to get a better understanding of how planing hulls work, and that is all surfcraft, is to spend several years studying naval architecture and marine engineering at someplace like Webb, MIT, I believe the University of Michigan has a program…you get the picture. Lindsay Lord did that, got a doctorate in the subject from MIT. 

Bargain price too- there’s a used copy of a later edition going for $1,495.00 on Amazon right now. I rather cherish my copy.

Fair winds

doc…

Thanks Doc.     As you pointed out, mine is a first edition, used by me, (well read) and the previous owner,(Edwards F. Rullman) a naval architect, as well as his copious notes.

Fair winds, and a following sea.